Barjuan, 49, is a former FC Barcelona and Atletico Madrid defender who leads Barca’s reserve side.
He was due to lead the first training session later Thursday.
“FC Barcelona hereby announce that Sergi Barjuan, the current coach of Barça B, will temporarily take over the technical management of the senior team,” said a club statement.
“His interim first-team head coach position will end as soon as the club hires a full-time head coach to replace fired Ronald Koeman.”
The club said Barjuan will attend a press conference on Friday ahead of Saturday’s game against Alaves, and club president Joan Laporta will also be in attendance.
Barca parted ways with Koeman following Wednesday’s 1-0 league loss to Rayo Vallecano, their fourth loss in the last six games.
Sport, a Spanish sports daily, meanwhile reported that Barca have an agreement with club legend Xavi to take over.
Xavi, 41, went through the famous Barca academy and played for the first team from 1998 to 2015.
He won 25 titles with them, including four UEFA Champions League and eight Spanish league titles.
Xavi joined Qatari club Al Sadd where he ended his career in 2019 and is now the contract coach until 2023.
However, he has a € 1million ($ 1.16million) release clause and has said in the past that he would like to coach Barca one day.
Sport said talks with Al Sadd were still needed, although the report suggested a final decision could be made before the day’s end.
FC Barcelona and Xavi have not commented on the matter.
However, whoever gets the managerial job faces a daunting task facing the struggling giants who have reported debts of over € 1 billion.
They had to let Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann go out of season.
A new talent in Pedri has arrived, but Barca are only ninth in La Liga and could face a UEFA Champions League group stage elimination.
dpa / NAN
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3DyD
- Complement your education with skills acquisition, NYSC boss charges corps members
- CEMAC Ministers Endorse African Energy Week 2022
- UNICEF and Liquid Intelligent Technologies launch a partnership to help Giga bridge the digital divide in Africa
- Nigeria, Chad to partner on power interconnection –Minister
- Prof. Florence Obi: Celebrating 1 year of an Icon in office
- Minister decries lack of improved cocoa seedlings
- IMF Management Completes First Review of the Staff-Monitored Program with Guinea Bissau
- A child was infected with HIV every two minutes in 2020 – UNICEF
- EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu invites youths for Peace Walk
- 257 projects amounting to over N20b duplicated in 2021 budget- ICPC boss
- No nation can develop without respect for rule of law —- AfDB president
- MTN offers 575m shares at N169 per share
- Police rescue 3 kidnapped persons, recover 3 AK-47 rifles in Zamfara
- ISWAP terrorists flee as Super Tucanos ‘hover’ around Buni Yadi
- Gov. Fintiri dissolves management board of Adamawa United FC