An Australian man and his British colleague were killed on Sunday night in a bomb blast in the Solomon Islands, local police said.
“We are devastated by what has happened, and for the loss of two good colleagues,” NPA’s secretary general Henriette Killi Westhrin said in a statement.
The aid agency named the men as Trent Lee (Australian) and Stephen Atkinson (British citizen).
“We call on members of the public in the Tasahe area of West Honiara to please stay well away from the area of the incident and allow RSIPF officers to do their work as we investigate this tragic incident,” police spokesperson Clifford Tunuki said.
The NPA said it had been working on a project with the government to locate unexploded bombs.
Its activities in Solomon Islands have temporarily been put on hold.
Tunuki confirmed no RSIPF officers were present at the time of the blast, “despite the fact that we work together on the Project.”
“On behalf of the RSIPF, I wish to convey my sincere condolences to families and relatives of those two foreign nationals, who died in this tragic incident,” he added.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3uzY
- LASG to partner German firm on agribusiness
- Kano Govt to inaugurate waste recycling project, create 4,000 jobs –official
- FG delegation to visit Ghana over Nigerian/Ghanaian traders’ conflict
- NGX opens week upbeat with N59bn growth
- Kwara launches interest-free loans for young entrepreneurs
- Only FG can guarantee financial autonomy for judiciary, says SAN
- FG declares Wednesday, Thursday, as Public Holidays to mark Eid-eI-Fitr celebration
- Army debunks alleged deployment of only Northern officers to S/East
- Buhari congratulates designer of National Flag, Michael Akinkunmi at 85