President Deby was a great statesman, African Union Commission Chairman Moussa Faki Mahamat said in a message of condolence on Tuesday.
Mahamat wrote that he learned of President Deby’s death with “great dismay and deep emotion” when sending his message of condolence to the Chadians.
President Deby, who came to power in 1990, has been recognized for his fight against Boko Haram insurgents and was on the front lines when he was killed.
The Chadian leader had joined his troops to fight rebels marching towards the capital, N’Djamena, when he was killed.
Meanwhile, the Chadian Transitional Military Council, which was formed after the death of the 68-year-old leader, appointed President Deby’s son Mahamat Kaka as president.
Deby was killed shortly after winning a recent presidential election. (PANA / NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3z1n
- NCDC records 39 new infections, zero death
- Victor Campenaerts warming up for the Giro d’Italia time trial on Zwift
- Abuja residents count losses as FCDA demolishes illegal structures
- Rugby Africa Sevens Solidarity Camp: All matches will be broadcast live on Saturday and Sunday on Rugby Africa’s Facebook page and Rugby Africa’s YouTube channel
- Adimula Commissions PTI Skill Development Academy
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (May 6, 2021)
- JUSUN, PASAN strike to end soon – FG
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 daily update (May 6, 2021)
- Jagun emerges new president of computer professionals council