Defence/Security

Aregbesola advocates proper biometric capturing of Nigerian citizens, migrants

Published

on


The Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola has stressed the need for proper biometric capturing of Nigerian Citizens and Migrants.


He said this would ensure effective internal security and socio-economic development in the country.

Mr Mohammed Manga, Director Press and Public Relations of the ministry, announced this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.

Aregbesola disclosed this when he received the management of the Nigeria Army Resource Centre led by its Director General, Maj.- Gen. G. Wahab (Rtd).

The minister noted that the anonymity of the Nigerian Citizenship and Migrants was worrisome.

He called on the Army Resource Centre to join hands with relevant authorities to ensure proper enlightenment of officers and men of the Nigerian Army and all those who use their facility.

“Without security in place, there can’t be any meaningful infrastructural development in any society, we need peace for development, recreation and our general well-being is dependent on security,” he said.

Earlier, Wahab said his team was in the Ministry to honour the Minister for keeping to the mandate of his Ministry of ensuring internal security and citizenship integrity.

Wahab said the team was at the ministry to also appreciate the Minister for honouring the centre’s invitation to declare open its on-going Leadership in National Security Course in Abuja on Monday.

The minister was presented with an award for keeping to the mandate of his Ministry. (NAN)


ORD/IS

Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz

https://nnn.ng/aregbesola-advocates/

Economy

Alleged $1bn cloned account: NPA welcomes House of Reps investigation

Published

on



The management of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) says it welcomes any investigation by the House  of Representatives in the alleged existence of one billion dollars in a ”cloned” Unity Bank account.

The General Manager, Corporate and Strategic Communications, of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) Mr Adams Jatto disclosed this in a statement in Lagos.

“While awaiting communications from the House committees on finance; and ports and harbours on the proposed investigations, the authority restates it position in the statement issued by management earlier this week that the unity bank account number: 0013680344, cited by the whistleblower, Mr Okpurhe, does not exist.

“This is as evidenced by a Feb. 12 letter from Unity Bank Plc.

“The NPA operates an account with Unity Bank Plc with account number: 0013670344 with a total sum of $1,057,772.03 (One Million, Fifty-Seven Thousand, Seven Hundred and Seventy-Two Dollars, Three Cents) as of Dec. 4, 2019 and not 1,034,515,000.00 dollars One Billion, Thirty-Four Million, Five Hundred and Fifteen Thousand United State Dollars) as alleged by the petitioner.

“However, the NPA account has not been in operation since Aug. 27, 2010 due to a Suit No: /582/2010 GARNISHEE ORDER NISI in AMINU IBRAHIM & CO & ANOR. VS. NIGERIAN PORTS AUTHORITY where a garnishee order was placed on it.

“This was following a case, which went from the Federal High Court to the Supreme Court over a period of eight years.

“Upon the determination of the case at the Supreme Court, the judgment creditors continued with the Garnishee process which resulted in the credit of the amount 1,057,772.03 (One Million, Fifty-Seven Thousand, Seven Hundred and Seventy-Two Dollars, Three Cents) in favour of Suit No: /582/2010 GARNISHEE ORDER NISI- AMINU IBRAHIM & CO & ANOR. VS. NIGERIAN PORTS AUTHORITY on Dec. 4, 2019 in line with the Garnishee Order absolute.

“It is therefore obvious that there is no cloned account as speculated in the alleged whistle blowing effort of Mr. Okpurhe,” he said.

He noted that the account under discussion was frozen on the strength of a court order in August 2010, following the completion of the case, the money was consequently transferred to the judgment creditor on Dec. 4, 2019 in line with the Garnishee Order Absolute.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/alleged-1bn-cloned-account-npa-welcomes-house-of-reps-investigation/

Continue Reading

Foreign

Roundup: COVID-19 recoveries in Italy continue to rise, 28 positive migrants isolated

Published

on

By


The number of people who recovered from COVID-19 infections in Italy reached 186,111 on Wednesday, as 1,526 new recoveries were registered over the past 24 hours, the country’s Civil Protection Department said in its daily bulletin.


There were 30 new fatalities over the 24 hours, which brought the country’s death toll to 34,644, the Civil Protection Department said.

The department explained the death figure resulted nonetheless lower than Tuesday’s 34,675, since the Autonomous Trento Province revised its toll down by 61 death cases.

Active COVID-19 infections kept following a downward path, down by 918 against Tuesday to a total of 18,655.

Of those active infections, 107 patients are currently in intensive care, down by eight compared to the previous day. Another 1,610 remain hospitalized with symptoms, down by 243, and the remaining 16,938 — or 91 percent, are isolated at home because they are asymptomatic or with mild symptoms.

Assessed cases in Italy increased by 190 to 239,410, including active infections, recoveries, and fatalities. The figure came after the Autonomous Trento Province revised its assessed cases up by 387 on Wednesday.

MIGRANTS IN ISOLATION

Also on Wednesday, 28 migrants rescued by the non-governmental ship Sea Watch at large in the Mediterranean — while trying to reach the Italian coasts — tested positive for COVID-19. They were put in isolation on board another ship anchored off Porto Empedocle in Sicily, according to Italian authorities.

The 28 patients — all of them asymptomatic or with light symptoms — are part of a larger group of at least 209 rescued migrants and refugees.

“The procedures adopted (in the case) guarantee the full protection of the country’s health security,” the Interior Ministry said in a statement published by local media.

“Since their arrival, all migrants have undergone the proceedings provided by the guidelines on the protected isolation system developed by the Directorate-General for Health Prevention of the Health Ministry,” it added.

The alert was launched after a first rescued migrant (out of the 28) felt sick on board the Sea Watch on Tuesday, and was transferred to hospital in the city of Caltanissetta, where he tested positive to COVID-19.

After that, a swab test was carried out to all of the rescued people and the crew of the ship.

SUPPORT FOR VIRUS-HIT FIRMS

On the economic side of the COVID-19 crisis, the Finance Ministry on Wednesday said applications to benefit from a moratorium on loans exceeded 2.6 million, worth almost 280 billion euros (315 billion United States dollars) overall.

In addition, requests from micro, small, and medium firms for accessing new bank loans backed by the state’s Guarantee Fund now exceeded 690,000.

Both measures were made available through a governmental “Liquidity Decree” since early April in order to support the companies hit by the coronavirus emergency and the related lockdown on economic activities.

The task force managing such liquidity supportive measures involves the Economy Ministry, the Ministry of Economic Development, the Bank of Italy, the Italian Banking Association (ABI), and the SACE Export Credit Agency.

Italy’s economy — the third largest of the euro-zone — might contract by 12.8 percent this year due to the coronavirus impact, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) forecast on Wednesday, revising a previous 9.1 percent predicted in April.

In its “World Economic Outlook Update”, the IMF also said it expects Italy to grow by 6.3 percent in 2021, up 1.5 percentage points compared to the April forecast.

(XINHUA)

https://nnn.ng/roundup-covid-19-recoveries-in-italy-continue-to-rise-28-positive-migrants-isolated/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Dabiri-Erewa tasks US govt on killing of Nigerian-American Salau

Published

on


Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), on Monday called on the government of the United States to ensure a thorough investigation in the alleged killing of a Nigerian, Toyin Salau.


The NiDCOM chief described the alleged murder of the 19-year-old Nigerian-American Activist, Salau in the U.S as highly depressing and cruel.

This is contained in a statement signed by Mr Abdur-Rahman Balogun, Head of Media and Public Relations Unit of NiDCOM, and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja.

Dabiri-Erewa said the U.S government must conduct a thorough investigation on the circumstances leading to Ms Salau’s death.

The NIDCOM boss condoled with the immediate family of Ms Salau who died while advocating against oppression and injustice.

NAN reports that Salau a 19-year-old lady of Nigerian origin, was found dead days after she was declared missing in the city of  Tallahassee, Florida, the United States.

According to the Tallahassee Police Department, Salau who spoke at Black Lives Matters protests in the city, was last seen on June 6, near Wahnish Way and Orange Avenue, Tallahassee.

Salau was declared missing hours after she tweeted she was sexually assaulted.

She tweeted that a man molested her that morning around Park Avenue and Richview Road, Tallahassee, Florida.

She said the man offered to give her a ride back to a church where she had sought “refuge” because of “unjust living conditions”.

“He came disguised as a man of God and ended up picking me up from nearby Saxon Street,” she tweeted. “I trusted the Holy Spirit to keep me safe.”

According to reports, the Tallahassee Community Action Agency conducted a search party on June 10 night, starting at Bethel AME Church.

The demonstrators searched for hours. They carried flashlights and asked for medics to join them in case she was hurt.

Salau on June 15, after a week of her abduction, was found dead.

Before her confirmed death, she was very passionate about government policies, fighting racism and other issues affecting the society.

Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/dabiri-erewa-tasks-us-govt-on-killing-of-nigerian-american-salau/
Continue Reading

Metro

COVID-19: FG lauds Nigerian youths for their ingenuity

Published

on


The Federal Government on Monday lauded Nigerian youths for their ingenuity in producing hand sanitising machines in an effort to curtail the spread of coronavirus in the country.


Dr George Akume, Minister of Special Duties and Intergovernmental Affairs, gave the commendation when he received locally-made hand sanitising machines from the International Institute of Certified Forensic Investigation Professionals (IICFIP) in Abuja.

Akume, represented by Mr Festus Dauda, a Permanent Secretary in the ministry, appreciated the IICFIP for its initiative to support government in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic by donating the hand sanitising machines.

According to him, the COVID-19 pandemic is not only a national challenge, but a global challenge that has compelled governments throughout the world to take measures to combat it.

“It is a war that is being fought which I believe that in no distant time, we will overcome. Government on its part is trying its best to see how this challenge can be surmounted.

“However, government alone cannot carry on with the task and it requires the efforts of public spirited individuals, organisations and institutions like yours, to contribute in this fight,“ he said.

He said the fight was a collective one, adding that if all Nigerians put efforts together, the country would contain the pandemic.

Speaking earlier, Mallam Shehu Malami, the Patron of IICFIP, said the mission of the institute was to give support to government in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic.

Represented by Dr Sani Aliyu, Director of Intergovernmental Relationship, IICFIP, he said the institute desired to assist the federal government in the fight against coronavirus and in promoting local technological development.

“So this hand sanitising machine is an indigenous machine produced by youths in Plateau State, and in an effort to promote youths in the country, we have decided to donate the locally-made machines.

“Also, in order to bring them out of criminality and violence, we find it necessary to invest in what these young Nigerians are doing.

“We find it very important to promote the Nigerian youths’ initiative, and that is why we decided to donate machines produced by them,“ he said.

According to him, the gesture is to show solidarity with the federal government in the war against the dreaded disease.

Malami said the institute was also willing to help to trail criminal activities in the country, besides fighting the war against coronavirus.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that IICFIP is the world`s unique and professional membership organisation, that brings together forensic investigators and provides forensic investigation skills training to those interested in forensic investigation.

Edited By: Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Ejike Obeta (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/covid-19-fg-lauds-nigerian-youths-for-their-ingenuity/
Continue Reading

EU executive to propose overhaul of migration and asylum system Oil down after United States crude inventories rise against expectations Malaysia opposition leader Ibrahim says seeking to form new government Damilare, Christiana emerge winners in Big Dreams Nigeria talent show NCDC announces 176 new COVID-19 infection in Nigeria UNGA Debate: Buhari urges global action against small arms S/Arabia to allow Umrah pilgrimage to resume from October – Report UNGA Debate: Buhari advocates uninhibited supply of safe coronavirus vaccines to all Nigeria High Commission in Canada reopens after six-month closure President Buhari’s UNGA75 National Statement Olowu condoles with COAS, says Col. Bako’s death a national tragedy 9 energy firms get $2.6m USAID grant to power rural clinics in Africa FCTA reiterates commitment to job creation through agriculture value chain Sanwo-Olu charges cabinet, officials to brace up for optimum performance I never accused NAN staff of fraud, says Lagos NUJ Chairman Navy deploys 6 warships for special military operation in 4 states Obiano inaugurates 18-member task force on human trafficking, irregular migrationar migration Buhari congratulates Plateau Dep. Gov. Tyoden at 70 Barbados tourism expert advises African operators on innovation Ramaphosa urges UN to take decisive action against racism Ex-governor Yari administration diverted N10.8bn for university project – Commissioner  Buhari consoles with Borno on loss of two Emirs Suspect wanted by FBI for $6m scam surrenders to EFCC — Official Lagos govt to train medical records personnel for effective service delivery AbdulRazaq updates Buhari on Kwara flood disaster, seeks FG support   Flood: NASG distributes relief materials to victims in 45 communities UN commends FG on improvement of humanitarian access in North-East Gov. Ganduje inaugurates NYSC governing board 8 states yet to implement new minimum wage – TUC COVID-19: We’ve flattened the curve, says Gov. Ganduje Silverbird Group to establish cinema outlets in Ebonyi FG alleges that multinationals companies drill for water without approval Electricity/Fuel pump hike: NLC insists on nationwide protest LASG receives 107,546 CA-COVID food palliative packs At UNGA, AU chairman solicits ‘comprehensive stimulus package’ for Africa Sanusi calls for diversification of economy to address poverty, inequality Food Council to ensure reduction in fertiliser price – Gov. Bagudu Kwara Assembly urges Gov AbdulRasaq to assist rainstorm victims I’m loyal to APC, not factions, says chieftain in Ibadan Oyo govt re-awards 9.7km Saki township road for N4.7bn Suarez language exam for Italian citizenship rigged, prosecutors insist Runsewe urges youths to uphold cultural values Late Emir of Zazzau was a father to all – NDA Spurs’ League Cup match called off due to COVID-19 cases at Orient Mixed reactions trail CBN‘s MPR cut 40 coys bid for NEPZA constituency projects Bale may extend Spurs’ stay beyond loan spell, agent says Minister urges fertilizer dealers to work in line with Fertilizer Act IBEDC apologises to customers over poor electricity supply NAICOM urges state govts to domesticate compulsory life insurance, others for citizens