Omar Waraich, an Amnesty International spokesman told newsmen, said the four speakers, including representatives from London were met by officials from the Labour Ministry who threatened them with arrest under labour laws.
It confirmed that representatives from the Labour ministry had made a visit to the hotel to prevent the event from happening.
The report, available on Amnesty’s website details the torture by soldiers and the police of suspected insurgents, government opponents, and vulnerable people including members of minorities and drug users.
It documented dozens of cases of ill-treatment including beatings, suffocation by plastic bags, strangling, water boarding and electric shocks to the genitals.
“The Thai authorities should be addressing torture, not human rights activists doing their legitimate work and threatening us with arrest and prosecution,’’ Minar Pimple, Amnesty International’s senior director of global operations, said.
The police were not immediately available for comment.
Edited by: Oluleye Abiodun/Grace Yussuf
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-2VLp
- How seamless payment experiences make retail brands more valuable and relevant (By Gilbert Lungu)
- Binance To Host Its First Offline Event In Cameroon
- Coronavirus – Uganda: Tackle the misinformation about Covid-19 Vaccination in Acholi
- Nigerian Air Force’s Super Tucano jet destroy ISWAP armoury, training bases in Lake Chad
- Deputy Chief Maybury Supports the 16 Days Campaign and World AIDS Day on ELBC Radio
- Akeredolu won’t allow workers enjoy Christmas – Ondo PDP Alleges
- Bill to regulate administration of sports mooted
- Compact: African Development Bank and IFC Partner to Advance Economic Development in Lusophone African countries
- Lagos govt explains why Nigerian Army intervened during EndSARS protests
- N15 bn cocoa processing plant begins operation in Ondo
- Fighting against drought-induced hunger: FAO provides rural households in Somalia with cash livestock and agricultural support
- ABU, CBN develop national farmers’ database
- Nigerian Navy arrests 5 stowaways at Lagos anchorage
- Woodside Energy Confirms Participation at MSGBC Oil, Gas & Power 2021
- After media reports, Kano govt unseals chamber of lawyer who secures victory against Ganduje-led APC