Mr. Akeredolu, represented by his Chief of Staff, Chief Olugbenga Ale, made the call at the 4th Anniversary Symposium of the Ooni of Ile-Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi.
“Because of the role that traditional leaders play in establishing peace in their various fields, a place should be reserved for them in the country’s constitution.
“It will also strengthen the current informal roles of the Royal Fathers to continue to mobilize their subjects to maintain security,” he said.
The symposium is titled: “Solving Security Issues as They Affect Grassroots Development in Nigeria: The Need for Constitutional Empowerment of Traditional Institutions”.
“Let me say that despite the fact that the 1999 Constitution did not grant any constitutional function to our traditional institutions, they have been very effective in the informal sector of our various societies.
“Their effectiveness in this sector could not be eroded as they are highly respected and revered as their words are like laws for their people.
“I firmly believe that giving them constitutional recognition and authority will give them the impetus to carry out their hitherto informal roles more effectively and efficiently.
“Despite the fact that the Royal Fathers do not have constitutional functions at this time, the traditional rulers of Ondo State have continued to creatively take salutary steps to stem insecurity in parts of the country. State of the sun and also get the importance of government policies and programs effectively. Communicated to the grassroots, ”he said.
Mr. Akeredolu advised the program organizers to ensure that the consensus of the symposium is made available to the National Assembly.
He took the opportunity to call on traditional institutions to speak out in unity in the ongoing turmoil for control of resources which he said would be a credible path to economic prosperity for the states of the country.
“When I arrived at your palatial palace for this historical program, your traditional palace secretary asked the curator of the palace museum gallery to exhibit some fascinating historical monuments.
“Of great importance, Kabiyesi is the exhibition of gemstones in Ife with enticing monetary value.
“So what struck me is that, while Ife or Osun State controls this resource, the multiplier effects of the exploration and exploitation value chain on the productive commitments of our restless young people. and the economy of Ife and Osun State can be better imagined.
“Can I therefore suggest to Kabiyesi to kindly rally his fellow Royal Fathers to support the agitation for the control of resources,” said the governor.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3D1l
- US Fashion designer Virgil Abloh, 41, dies of cancer
- FCT badminton club hosts maiden championship in Kubwa
- World Bank, El-Rufai applaud Kyari, as NNPC intensifies petroleum sector reform
- WHO Stands with African Nations and Calls for Borders to Remain Open
- NDLEA intercepts 12,385kg “Loud” marijuana in Lagos
- Incorporate recommendations into teaching curriculum to take Art Schools forward — Rector YABATECH
- “1115 C of O’s Yet to Be Collected by Applicants” – Oyo Govt
- CAC deploys e-Platform for registration of LLPs coy
- NSE, COREN commends Gov. Abiodun On Infrastructural Development
- UK to enforce new Covid rules from Tuesday
- Tens of thousands protest Austria compulsory vaccination
- French minister flies to Caribbean islands after mooting autonomy
- James Bond fan Fiala named Czech prime minister
- Buhari charges agric varsities to bridge food insecurity gap
- NIPC partners Isreali Embassy on i-FAIR 2021/22