Environment

Aghoro Community expresses disappointment over compensation on oil spill

Published

on


Members of Aghoro 1 community, Ekeremor Local Government Area in Bayelsa on Friday expressed dissatisfaction over  the compensation that Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC)  offered to pay for an oil spill that occurred on May 17, 2018.


They alleged that the oil firm arbitrarily determined the compensation for the incident in spite of the Joint Investigation Visit (JIV) report on the matter.

They claimed the spill had impacted and polluted an estimated area of 113.03 hectares.

The JIV report obtained by Nigeria News Agency  states that  the leak on the pipeline at three spots were caused by equipment failure.

It added that the leak discharged 1,114 barrels of crude oil into the environment.

Mr Friday Otigha, a Community Leader and member of the Community Development Committee in Aghoro 1, told NAN that the N34 million  offered by SPDC was unacceptable and had no relation with the impact assessment report.

Otigha said instead  of N3.68 billion compensation that the National Oil Spills Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA) recommended, SPDC proposed to pay N34 million.

He alleged  that SPDC connived with some unauthorised community leaders to foist the arbitrarily determined compensation which fell short of NOSDRA’s compensation rate, a development that attracted sanctions for those individuals.

Otigha recalled that the leak was reported on May 17 but the JIV was on  June 23, a development that worsened the  impact of the spill on the predominantly fishing coastal community.

He said hundreds of impacted fishermen thrown out of business  by the incident were disappointed at the turn of events as they had expected SPDC to act in line with international best practice.

He urged the Federal Government to prevail on SPDC to retrace its steps and resolve the compensation in line with existing oil spill compensation guidelines set by the regulators.

Mr Bamidele Odugbesan, Media Relations Manager, SPDC, had earlier  given an assurance that the firm would compensate victims and  remediate polluted areas.

Reacting to the allegations, Mr Michael Adande, a Spokesman  for SPDC insisted that the firm acted with industry stakeholders to arrive at the compensation.

“The SPDC conducts a comprehensive damage assessment and enumeration exercise with active participation of other members of the Joint Investigation Visit Team, especially the impacted claimants.

“We also use geomatrics map to establish the exact area of impact and extent within SPDC’s Right of Way or third party area and the degree of impact to arrive at a fair compensation value.

“In the case of the regrettable incident in Aghoro in Bayelsa State and Odimodi in Delta State in 2018, SPDC has paid the agreed compensation to the affected persons and communities.

“The NOSDRA Post-Impact Assessment report, however , included N2.74 billion as ‘ecological damage assessment’ for environmental restoration and not as compensation.

“SPDC takes responsibility for clean-up, remediation and restoration.” Adande said.

Edited /Chukwudi  Ekezie

https://nnn.ng/aghoro-community-expresses-disappointment-over-compensation-on-oil-spill/

Oil & Gas

National Oil Corporation announces reopening of major Libyan oilfield

Published

on



“NOC announces the resumption of oil production at El Feel oilfield on Sunday and confirms the lifting of force majeure on crude oil exports from the Sharara and El Feel fields starting Sunday and Monday respectively,’’ said a company statement.

Production at El Feel field will start at a capacity of 12,000 barrels per day, while the full capacity production is expected to be reached in 14 days, given the damage caused by the shutdown, the statement added.

NOC on Sunday announced the re-opening of Sharara oilfield, the largest in the country, saying its full capacity production was expected to be reached in 90 days.

Oilfields and ports of Libya were closed in January by tribal leaders in eastern Libya, who accuse the Tripoli-based UN-backed government of using oil revenues to support armed groups against the east-based army.

The NOC confirmed that closure of the oilfields and ports have caused losses of more than $5.2 billion so far.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/national-oil-corporation-announces-reopening-of-major-libyan-oilfield/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Oil markets see further gains after OPEC+ extends production curbs

Published

on



The first time it has done so since March, after major oil producers agreed to stick to their current output restrictions for one more month.

While United States brand West Texas Intermediate added around 2 per cent to reach 40.44 dollars, European Brent oil climbed nearly 3 per cent to 43.41 dollars.

The Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries in Vienna and a Russia-led group of aligned countries, known as OPEC+, decided on Saturday to keep in place an output cut of 9.7 million barrels per day (bpd) until the end of July.

The group had first decided upon this reduction in April, to prop up prices that were under pressure from the coronavirus crisis and the ensuing drop in demand for transport fuel and oil-based chemicals.

While OPEC+ has achieved their aim of reversing the price decline, analysts said on Monday that the current upward trend will not be sustainable.

Oil watchers at the Vienna consultancy JBC Energy pointed out that prices have been supported by massive oil imports into China, which could bring its buying down to normal levels soon as oil becomes more expensive.

On the supply side, some Libyan oil fields are set to restart production soon, while OPEC+ member Mexico opted out of Saturday’s extension deal.

“We cannot shake the feeling that, price-wise, this market has gotten a bit ahead of itself,’’ JBC Energy said in an analysis, predicting that prices will drop unless some other price-pushing factors appear.


Edited By: Halima Sheji/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

 

https://nnn.ng/oil-markets-see-further-gains-after-opec-extends-production-curbs/
Continue Reading

Economy

Oil prices rise on OPEC+ cuts, record China imports

Published

on



Brent crude was up 51 cents, or 1.2 per cent, at $42.81 per barrel, by 0628 GMT, while United States West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude rose 32 cents, or 0.8 per cent, to $39.87 a barrel.

Both hit their highest since March 6 earlier in the session, at $43.41 and $40.44, respectively.

Brent has nearly doubled since the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Russia and allies, collectively known as OPEC+, agreed in April to cut supply by 9.7 million barrels per day (bpd) during May-June to prop up prices that collapsed due to the coronavirus crisis.

On Saturday, OPEC+ agreed to extend the deal to withdraw almost 10 per cent of global supplies from the market by a third month to end-July.

Following the extension, top exporter Saudi Arabia hiked its monthly crude prices for July.

But Howie Lee, Economist at Singapore bank OCBC, noted that the latest deal had fallen short of market hopes for a three-month extension of output cuts.

He said both benchmarks would require stronger bullish factors to propel prices back to where they were before March 6, when they crashed after OPEC and Russia initially failed to reach an agreement on supply cuts.

“It’s a big gap there; you need a strong conviction to go from $43 to pre-crash levels,’’ Lee said, referring to Brent being above $50 before the March crash.

Low prices have drawn Chinese buyers to boost imports.

Purchases by the world’s largest crude importer rose to an all-time high of 11.3 million bpd in May.

The OPEC+ move to extend cuts to July is, however, expected to lead to a supply deficit by October, aiding prices in the longer run, OCBC’s Lee added.

Market participants are now eyeing compliance among OPEC members such as Iraq and Nigeria, which exceeded production quotas in May and June, for trading cues, analysts said.

Libya’s supply could also rise soon as two major oilfields have reopened after months of a blockade that shut off most of the country’s production.

“The potential return of Libyan output could also cause considerable challenges for the OPEC leadership,’’ said Helima Croft, Head of Global Commodity Strategy at RBC Capital Markets.

Even as oil prices recovered, they are still well below the costs of most United States shale producers, leading to shutdowns, layoffs and cost-cutting in the world’s largest producer.

The number of operating United States oil and natural gas rigs fell to a record low for a fifth week in a row in the week to June 5, according to data from Baker Hughes Co.

Nearly 30 per cent of the United States offshore oil output was also shut on Friday as tropical storm Cristobal entered the Gulf of Mexico.

The storm weakened to a tropical depression on Monday morning.

Higher oil prices could invite the reinstatement of supply, notably the United States shale, that was planned to be shut-in in June and July, BNP Paribas’ Harry Tchilingurian said.

OPEC+ faces a Catch-22 situation,’’ he said.

“The resumption of output … may moderate the pace of rebalancing of the oil market.’’

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/oil-prices-rise-on-opec-cuts-record-china-imports/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Libya’s largest oil field reopened: National Oil Corporation

Published

on

By



NOC confirms the return of production at the Sharara oilfield south of the country, after lengthy negotiations by the NOC to reopen the Hamada valve, which had been illegally closed in January,” NOC said in a statement.

NOC said production will start at a capacity of 30,000 barrels per day, with the full capacity production expected within 90 days due to the damages resulted by shutdown.

“The Libyan economy has suffered enough from the illegal blockades, and we hope that the restart of production at the Sharara oilfield will be the first step to revive the Libyan oil and gas sector and prevent an economic collapse in Libya,” said NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla.

Tribal leaders in eastern Libya closed oil ports and fields in January, accusing the Tripoli-based UN-backed government of using oil revenues to support armed groups against the eastern-based army.

The closure of the oilfields and ports have caused losses of more than 5.2 billion United States dollars so far, NOC confirmed.

(XINHUA)

https://nnn.ng/libyas-largest-oil-field-reopened-national-oil-corporation/
Continue Reading

NiMet predicts cloudiness, rains Sunday to Tuesday FG disburses N24m loan to 2,400 entrepreneurs in Sokoto 2023: NYC urges Gov. Umahi to consider running for Presidency Anambra FA Caretaker Committee enrolls club owners in health insurance scheme “Its your portion to die,’’ Clergyman tells Christians La Liga: Villarreal record 2-1 win over Eibar Hertha Berlin crush Werder Bremen 4-1, as Cologne, Stuttgart lose Leeds United hang on to win 7-goal thriller with Fulham Lagos to transform  judiciary infrastructure Polaris Bank appoints Segun Opeke as Executive Director Edo poll: APC chieftain commends electoral process Wrap-up: An overview of Edo governorship election  Edo 2020: Sorting, counting of votes start Edo election: No offender will go unpunished, police warn Ekiti Police slam N5m on wanted man over alleged robberies, kidnappings World Bank Projects: Zamfara Gov’t tasks communities on maintenance  Military arrest 11 suspected members of a cult group in Jos FG seeks collaboration with Agric stakeholders to curb post-harvest losses LASG seeks quality healthcare service for increased patients’ patronage NPA expects 13 ships with petroleum products, others at Lagos port EPL: Rodriguez, Calvert-Lewin shine as Everton batter 10-man West Bromwich Albion Lawyer advocates leadership training for youths 3-storey school  building collapses in Lagos Edo election: Security team investigates reports of gunshots Edo poll: Gov. Obaseki faults INEC preparations Flooding: Kebbi Gov’t assures farmers on dry season farming FUOYE pledges to appoint VC, Registrar, others based on merit Minister, senator commend INEC on Edo election Electorate, observer commend conduct of election in Edo Zamfara APC: Sen. Marafa’s loyalists react to expulsion of Sirajo Garba, 125 others Flood: 1 out of 14 passengers rescued in Sokoto mishap  Edo Election: European Centre decries non-compliance to COVID-19 protocols Edo election: FRSC certifies 496 vehicles to convey electoral materials, personnel Gov. Ganduje urges Muslims to pray for peace, stability Edo 2020: Card Readers fail to authenticate fingerprints in Esan West, Central Rivers: NEMA engages stakeholders on flooding challenge Foundation donates food, other gifts items to widows in Abuja Nasarawa APC pass Vote of Confidence on Gov Sule  Plateau: NFC trains 60 youths in Modern Film Techniques Edo Election: Obaseki queues up to vote Edo: Presiding Officers, Observer commend electoral process in Ward 4 Gunmen invade relaxation spot in Kogi, kill one, injure many Edo 2020: Voters observe social distancing Motorists decry deplorable roads in Southern Kaduna Ember Months: FRSC urges motorists to drive patiently, apply controlled-speed Edo Polls: Ize-Iyamu votes at Ugboko ward 4, commends conduct of Election NDLEA clarifies stand on drug integrity test for intending couples  Edo election: Presiding officers insist on no face masks, no voting Edo 2020: Massive turnout of voters witnessed at polling units Troops rescue 22 kidnapped victims in Zamfara, Katsina