Ayoba (www.ayoba.me), the African messaging app, has announced the launch of a new version of its Android app (0.38) which provides users with access to voice and video calls. It comes as the app celebrates its second anniversary on the 4the of May 2021 with a user base of 5.5 million monthly users and a best mobile app award at the end of last year. The updated app is already online and in use, and is quickly proving popular, with thousands of calls being made every day across the world.
Voice and video calls requested by users
‘Users ask us to support Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) calls from day one», Says Nolan Wolff, director of ayoba. ‘And we are extremely happy to be able to answer their call with this new version. All both parties need is to upgrade to the latest version of the Android app. This is available immediately on the Google Play Store and our website at ayoba.me.‘
Web access with ayoba lite
Ayoba has also launched “ayoba lite”, allowing users to send messages to their contacts from a standard web browser, from their desktop computer or from a compatible smartphone. Ayoba lite is designed as a “space saver” for users who are low on memory space on their device and prefer not to download the app. ‘Ayoba lite was designed as a progressive web application (PWA)Explains Wolff. ‘This allows us to provide roughly the same basic functionality as our full Android app, but contained in a standard web browser. This makes ayoba accessible to a very large audience and we plan to reach an entirely untapped market segment. The initial beta of the PWA is independent of the Android app, but it will evolve to allow a user to easily switch between platforms. Ayoba lite is available on web.ayoba.me.
A very happy 2nd birthday
‘5.5 million users is a milestone for a two-year-old app», Says Olivier Prentout, head of consumer marketing at ayoba. ‘It’s crazy to think that two years have passed since our launch in Cameroon as the first territory and initial partnership with MTN. The app has changed so much, adding channels, music, games, micro apps, MTN MoMo in some territories and more. Localization has been a key goal for us and we are very proud that users can access the app in 22 languages. Prentout continues, “ We have over 130 content channels in 7 languages, including Arabic, Dari, Pashto, Isizulu, English, Kinyarwanda and French to name a few. There is something for everyone. Help is available to all users with our built-in How To channel or through our virtual assistant Aya“.
The two years have indeed been very busy, and also very rewarding, culminating in obtaining the Africa Digital Award for the best mobile application in November 2020, in a voting process involving both industry judges and the public.
In partnership with MTN, MTN customers automatically receive free data to use the features of ayoba. Allocations range from 50MB per day to unlimited use, depending on the country (except Benin). Free data allowances can be used for all activities available in the app – including messaging, browsing, gaming, and listening to music, and customers can also download app data for free at www .ayoba.me. Users are advised that voice and video calls are excluded from the free data provisions.
Ayoba is having a busy 2021 year, with many upgrades and additions planned to its long list of features, including exciting new content in local channels and microapps across Africa. It’s ayoba!
10 REASONS TO USE AYOBA:
1. FREE USE: ayoba is free to use. You need data to send messages and files to your contacts, but if you are on MTN network, you will get free data everyday for using the app.
2. CHAT & CALL NOW: Instantly send and receive text and voice messages, voice notes, and voice and video calls with any of your contacts.
3. SECURE: End-to-end encryption means that messages in a conversation cannot be read by anyone else.
4. QUICK CONNECT: Use your existing address book to quickly and easily connect to your contacts.
5. CHAT WITH EVERYBODY: Send SMS to anyone in your contact list, whether they have ayoba installed or not. If the friend you are sending to does not have the app, the message will be sent via SMS. They can reply via SMS and it will come back to your app. It is unique technology.
6. GROUP CHAT: The more the merrier! Set up group chats to easily communicate with your friends and family in a single chat.
7. SHARING IS CARE: Share videos, pictures, audio and other files with your contacts.
8. MEET US: Share your location in real time with your ayoba contacts.
9. CHANNELS: Consume all content in various categories ranging from news, sports, fashion, music, education to entertainment and more, all in the ayoba app. All of our channels focus on Africa – such as Black Star for Ghana, Scrolla Africa in IsiZulu, Pulse Channels for Nigeria and Ghana covering business news, current affairs and entertainment, and over 50 channels artists highlighting African musicians and many others.
10. LISTEN AND PLAY Our free music service allows users to listen to trending songs from our fantastic playlists, featuring the best of local and international music. We also have games you can play, such as BattleShip, Pinball, Solitaire, and more. New content is added every day.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3zqp
- District in China closes schools over COVID-19 resurgence
- Supporters Club hails Ndidi, Iheanacho for FA Cup glory
- Gales, hail batter thousands in China’s Jiangxi
- Ogun Housing Initiative Addressing Growing Deficit
- Britain confident jabs work against Indian variant
- Rwandan President praises new mindset for African football
- Nigeria reports 41 new COVID-19 infections
- COVID-19: Berlusconi back out of hospital after a week
- 592 presidential candidates emerge in Iran