General news

AfDB: Obasanjo, Jonathan, 13 other African leaders rally support for Adesina

Published

on


Former presidents Olusegun Obasanjo, Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria and other African leaders on Friday, threw their support behind the President of the African Development Bank, Dr Adewunmi Adesina.


The African leaders rallied support for Adesina through a statement they jointly signed, a copy of which was made available to News Agency of Nigeria by Mr. Kehinde Akinyemi, the media aide to Obasanjo.

Some whistleblowers recently alleged that Adesina had violated the Bank’s Code of Ethics, but he had since firmly and consistently declared his innocence of the allegations.

The United States is insisting on a further probe in spite of the fact that Adesina had been exonerated by the Board of Directors of the Bank following an earlier probe.

The African leaders, however, insisted that the Bank had fully followed its rules, procedures and governing systems, which had served it well since it was established by African countries in 1964.

The Ethics Committee of the Board of Directors, a legal oversight body of the Bank, made up of representatives of shareholders, cleared Dr. Adesina of all 16 allegations, declaring them as baseless and unsubstantiated and exonerated him completely.

The Chairman of the Board of Governors, based on the report of the Ethics Committee, declared Dr. Adesina exonerated.

“Governance is all about respecting and abiding by rules, laws and established governing systems of organisations.

In the case of the AfDB, while differences may exist among parties, the best way to address them is to first respect the rules, procedures and governance structures of the Bank.

“To do otherwise will be tantamount to undermining the Bank and its long and hard earned reputation, and that of its President,” they said.

The leaders cautioned that the continent should not allow itself to be distracted, particularly when it is battling with the coronavirus pandemic.

The ex-presidents, who took time to roll out the achievements of the AFDB noted that the bank had performed remarkably well under the leadership of Adesina.

The Bank is a pride for all of Africa and its President, Dr. Adesina, has taken it to enviable heights.

“At this critical time that Africa is battling with COVID-19, the Bank and its President should not be distracted.

Signatories to the statement are:

H.E Olusegun Obasanjo (President of Nigeria; 1999-2007)
H.E Boni Yayi (President of Benin; 2006-2016)
H.E Hailemariam Desalegn (Prime Minister of Ethiopia; 2012 – 2018)
H.E John Kufour (President of Ghana; 2001 – 2009)
H.E Ellen Johnson Sirleaf (President of Liberia; 2006 – 2018)
H.E Joyce Banda (President of Malawi; 2012 – 2014)
H.E Joaquim Chissano (President of Mozambique; 1986 – 2005)
H.E Tandja Mamadou (President of Niger; 1999 – 2010)
H.E Goodluck Jonathan (President of Nigeria; 2010-2015)
H.E Mohamed Marzouki (President of Tunisia; 2011 – 2014)
H.E Benjamin Mkapa (President of Tanzania; 1995 – 2005)
ENDORSED BY:
H.E Ameenah Gurib-Fakin (President of Mauritius; 2015 – 2018)
H.E Rupiah Banda (President of Zambia; 2008 – 2011)
H.E Kgalema Motlanthe (President of South Africa; 2008-2009)
H.E Jakaya Kikwete (President of Tanzania; 2005 – 2015)

Edited By: Benson/Felix Ajide (NAN)

 

https://nnn.ng/afdb-obasanjo-jonathan-13-other-african-leaders-rally-support-for-adesina/

COVID-19

NCDC records 189 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,145

Published

on


The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has announced 189 new cases of COVID-19 infections in the country, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 57,145.


The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Saturday.

“As at Sept. 19, 2020, 189 new confirmed cases and one death was recorded in Nigeria.

“Till date, 57,145 cases have been confirmed, 48,431 cases have been discharged and 1,095 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory,” it said.

The agency stated that the 189 new infections were reported from 15 states of the federation.

The NCDC said that the figures also showed that Lagos, Plateau and the FCT accounted for 131 out of the 189 new cases.

“Lagos (70), Plateau (37), FCT (24), Kaduna (19), Rivers (12), Oyo (5), Ogun (4), Ebonyi (3), Katsina (3), Ondo (3), Osun (3), Imo (2), Yobe (2), Ekiti (1), Nasarawa (1),” it said.

The agency said that cloth masks provide protection when properly worn and cared for.

“Wear mask covering your nose and mouth, handle mask with clean hands and wash cloth face masks after each use.

“MaskOnNaija with other preventive measures. Learn how to make your own face mask: covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/media/files/DI… ,” it advised.

The NCDC advised older persons, especially those who were living with health conditions such as Diabetes, Cancer and Hypertension, not to travel during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“TakeResponsibility and adhere to all non pharmaceutical preventive measures of COVID-19 if you must travel,“ it said.

Edited By: Tayo Ikujini/Sadiya Hamza
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/ncdc-records-189-new-covid-19-cases-total-now-57145/
Continue Reading

Sport

Nadal stunned by Schwartzman in Italian Open quarter-finals, Djokovic survives Koepfer

Published

on


Defending champion Rafa Nadal crashed out of the Italian Open with a stunning 6-2 7-5 defeat by Argentine Diego Schwartzman in the quarter-finals on Saturday.


The nine-times Rome champion, who had won all nine previous meetings against Schwartzman, struggled with his serve throughout the match.

He made a series of uncharacteristic unforced errors that proved to be his undoing.

The Italian Open was the Spaniard’s first tournament in over seven months and while he cruised through the previous two rounds, his rustiness showed from the outset against the 15th-ranked Schwartzman.

Nadal committed 30 unforced errors to Schwartzman’s 17 and had his serve broken five times.

“Losing that many serves, you can’t expect to win a match,” Nadal said. “So that’s something that I have to fix. I know how to do it.”

Nadal will now travel to Paris, where he will look to clinch a record-extending 13th French Open title.

Schwartzman will face Denis Shapovalov in the semi-finals after the Canadian defeated Grigor Dimitrov 6-2 3-6 6-2 for his 100th tour-level match win.

Earlier in the day, Novak Djokovic overcame a mid-match wobble against Dominik Koepfer before securing a 6-3 4-6 6-3 win over the unseeded German and a semi-final spot.

The top-ranked Serb had sailed through the previous two rounds, his first matches since being defaulted at the United States Open for hitting a line judge with a ball.

But he faced a potentially tricky test when Koepfer levelled the contest at one set apiece.

However, Djokovic regained his focus to close out the victory and stay on course for his 36th ATP Masters 1000 crown.

He takes on Casper Ruud for a place in the final after the Norwegian battled past fourth seed and local hope Matteo Berrettini 4-6 6-3 7-6(5) in their last-eight clash.

“Clay is definitely Casper’s preferred surface. This is where he feels most comfortable. It’s semi-finals and it’s anybody’s game,” said Djokovic, who will be targeting his 30th victory from 31 matches this year.

“I’ll do some homework and be ready for that one.”

In the women’s draw, 2018 French Open champion Simona Halep advanced to the semi-finals when her opponent Yulia Putintseva retired due to a lower back injury while trailing 6-2 2-0.

The top-seeded Romanian will now meet Spain’s ninth seed Garbine Muguruza, who survived an early scare against Victoria Azarenka to beat the United States Open runner-up 3-6 6-3 6-4.

Halep said: “Every time I played well against her (Muguruza), I was as much as possible aggressive.

“If I play my best game, and if I feel great physically on court, I have a big chance to win the match. But every time is different, because she’s playing so hard. You don’t really know what to expect. It’s tough.”

Two-times champion and fourth seed Elina Svitolina of Ukraine, who skipped the United States Open to prepare for the claycourt swing, was stunned by Czech Marketa Vondrousova 6-3 6-0.

Number 12 seed Vondrousova will face compatriot Karolina Pliskova in the semi-finals after the defending champion survived a mid-match scare to beat Belgium’s Elise Mertens 6-3 3-6 6-0.

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

 

 

https://nnn.ng/nadal-stunned-by-schwartzman-in-italian-open-quarter-finals-djokovic-survives-koepfer/
Continue Reading

Foreign

United States initiates ‘snapback’ process to reimpose sanctions on Iran – Pompeo

Published

on


The United States has initiated the so-called snapback process to restore almost all previously lifted UN sanctions against Iran, United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Saturday.


“Today, the United States welcomes the return of virtually all previously terminated UN sanctions on the Islamic Republic of Iran, the world’s leading state sponsor of terror and anti-Semitism,” Pompeo said.

He said the snapback of previously terminated UN sanctions became effective at 8 pm Washington time (0000 GMT).

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif rejected the United States move, saying that the snapback mechanism and reimposed sanctions were invalid.

“This step is not supported by the UN Security Council because the United States is no longer in the nuclear agreement and accordingly no longer plays a role in UN resolution 2231,” Zarif said referring to the resolution in which the UNSC backed the Iran nuclear deal signed in Vienna in 2015.

The move by Washington was merely a “propaganda trick” ahead of the United States election, Zarif said on Iranian state television.

Washington’s plans to reimpose international sanctions on Iran have been met with overwhelming opposition from other countries.

Other members of the UN Security Council (UNSC), including key United States allies who are part of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, have rejected Washington’s move and have vowed to ignore it.

Under the nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Tehran limited its nuclear activities in return for sanctions relief.

“Sanctions are being re-imposed on Iran pursuant to the snapback process under UN Security Council resolution (UNSCR) 2231. On August 20, the United States notified the President of the Security Council of Iran’s significant non-performance of its JCPOA commitments,” Pompeo said in the Saturday statement.

“Virtually all @UN sanctions have returned on Iran, the leading state sponsor of terrorism and anti-Semitism.

“This includes a permanent extension of the arms embargo. This is great news for peace in the region!” Pompeo added on Twitter.

He later added that Washington would soon “announce a range of additional measures to strengthen enforcement of @UN sanctions on Iran.”

“Our maximum pressure campaign on the Iranian regime will continue until it stops spreading chaos, violence, and bloodshed,” he said.

United States special representative for Iran and Venezuela Elliott Abrams had already signalled Washington’s determination to reimpose sanctions on Tehran earlier this week.

The United States launched a formal bid in August to revive the UN sanctions under the “snapback” mechanism included in the Iran deal.

Those sanctions include the indefinite extension of an arms embargo that would otherwise expire in October.

But few countries believe Washington’s move is legal, as United States President Donald Trump unilaterally exited the JCPOA in 2018.

Washington said it would provide more information this weekend and next week on how the United States intended to enforce the global sanctions.

“In the coming days, the United States will announce a range of additional measures to strengthen implementation of UN sanctions and hold violators accountable,” Pompeo said in Saturday’s statement.

“Our maximum pressure campaign on the Iranian regime will continue until Iran reaches a comprehensive agreement with us to rein in its proliferation threats and stops spreading chaos, violence, and bloodshed,” Pompeo asserted.

Trump is likely to address Iran in his speech next week to the UN General Assembly’s largely online meeting of world leaders.

The stand-off between the United States and other member states over the issue threatens a diplomatic crisis at the world body.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/united-states-initiates-snapback-process-to-reimpose-sanctions-on-iran-pompeo/
Continue Reading

Foreign

NIDO-Ghana plans webinar to mark Nigeria’s 60th independence anniversary

Published

on


The Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation (NIDO), Ghana chapter, said on Saturday that it would organise a webinar as part of events to celebrate Nigeria’s sixtieth independence anniversary.


Mr Elija Iposu, Public Relations Officer of NIDO-Ghana, disclosed this in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria .

Iposu said the event would be organised by NIDO-Ghana in collaboration with a Ghana-based private firm, Diplomats Extra and Milestone Communications.

According to him, the webinar, which will hold on Oct. 2, is a virtual ceremony with Zoom ID: 742450910 and the title: ’60 years of Ghana-Nigeria diplomacy’.

Prof. Bola Akinterinwa, former Director-General Institute of International Affairs, and Amb. Bulus Lolo, former Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nigeria are among high-ranking personalities expected to participate in the event.

Some other expected guests are Mr Oluwaseyi Adeyemi, Publisher, Inside Watch Africa Magazine, Mr Emmanuel Bombande, UN Senior Mediation Advisor, Prof. Baflour Agyeman-Duah, former UN Special Governance Advisor and Affail Monney, President Ghana Journalists Association.

NAN reports that  President Muhammadu Buhari on Sept. 16, unveiled the logo and theme for the 60th independence anniversary celebration.

He said that the celebration would be observed for a whole year, to end on Sept. 30, 2021 and would be muted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

FEA/

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/nido-ghana-plans-webinar-to-mark-nigerias-60th-independence-anniversary/
Continue Reading

8 burnt to death in Lagos-Ibadan expressway accident  Newborn safely delivered under Ajah bridge NCDC records 189 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,145 Nadal stunned by Schwartzman in Italian Open quarter-finals, Djokovic survives Koepfer United States initiates ‘snapback’ process to reimpose sanctions on Iran – Pompeo NIDO-Ghana plans webinar to mark Nigeria’s 60th independence anniversary Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi Edo election: Why collation is delayed — INEC Nketiah’s late strike gives Arsenal 2-1 win over West Ham United Ekiti Deputy Gov eulogises late theatre icon, Jimoh Aliu Gov Bagudu, stakeholders meet over flood, insecurity, vow to surmount challenges El-Rufai to participate in maiden Kaduna Marathon on Nov. 21 Ondo election: Agboola Ajayi best candidate for good governance — Mimiko Edo 2020: Group commends INEC on equal access for PWDs Banditry: Lawmaker urges FG to deploy more security to Sokoto Ebonyi police confirm alleged murder of motorcyclist by suspected lunatic COVID-19: Lagos govt reopens cinemas, gyms Edo Poll: PDP alleges move to replace election results in Edo North Akaeze-Ukwu tragedy: Buhari condoles with govt, people of Ebonyi VAR drama as Zaha double earns Crystal Palace shock 3-1 win at Manchester United Sultan turbans 15 District Heads in Sokoto Nigerians gifted with exceptional confidence, resilience,  mental acuity – Osinbajo Cash Transfer: Zamfara to dismiss 10 Facilitators for extortion Youth hold key to sustainable democracy – Ekiti APC chieftain  Fiorentina snatch late win in Serie A opener Dortmund young guns sparkle in opening win over Gladbach Environmental advocates call for total ban of plastics Edo electorate hail INEC, security agencies Edo poll: Gov. Wike commends INEC, security agencies for peaceful conduct Edo election: Police commission lauds security presence at voting centres Bye-elections: 12 candidates jostle for Lagos East, 8 for Kosofe Constituency II Liverpool sign Portugal winger Jota from Wolves Police in Anambra arrest 3 suspects for alleged abduction, rape of job seeker Spurs sign Bale on loan, Reguilon on permanent deal Vulture Day: NCF advocates Vulture Conservation World Clean Up Day: NGO tasks Lagos residents on cleaner, greener environment Ondo Gov’s wife registers market women for democratic dividends Ebonyi Bus Plunge: FRSC confirms 14 corpses retrieved from river Crawford University appoints new V-C, other principal officers Edo 2020: Gov. Tambuwal lauds Buhari on statesmanly call, directive LASG seals 3 illegal container terminals, 19 additional contravening buildings Pirlo says Suarez unlikely to join Juventus after all NiMet predicts cloudiness, rains Sunday to Tuesday FG disburses N24m loan to 2,400 entrepreneurs in Sokoto 2023: NYC urges Gov. Umahi to consider running for Presidency Anambra FA Caretaker Committee enrolls club owners in health insurance scheme “Its your portion to die,’’ Clergyman tells Christians La Liga: Villarreal record 2-1 win over Eibar Hertha Berlin crush Werder Bremen 4-1, as Cologne, Stuttgart lose Leeds United hang on to win 7-goal thriller with Fulham