A statement by the minister’s media adviser Sola Fasure said Aregbesola made the pledge during an inspection visit to the facility in Oyo on Sunday.
The minister assured Nigerians that the federal government would prosecute not only those who attacked the facility, but also those who escaped legal detention.
“The attack was unreasonable. I commend the service officers and other members of the sister security agencies who provided security around the perimeter of our facility for fighting valiantly and holding the fort before the attackers could gain access to the awaiting trial section of the installation.
“However, those who escaped are already being pursued. Some have been arrested again, many others will still be captured, ”added the Minister.
Mr. Aregbesola noted, however, that 446 of the 907 escapees had already been recaptured, while 69 remained at the facility.
“At the last count, 446 of the escapees were recaptured, leaving 392 still at large.
“We want to assure Nigerians that the service has an updated database of escapees that includes their biometrics.
“We share the database with all security agencies across the country, including Interpol, so those who escaped our recapture efforts can be arrested.
“To those on the run, rest assured that you have nowhere to hide. You can run, but you can’t hide. We will fish you out.
“We are releasing the details of those who escaped to the media so that the public can participate in this effort,” he said.
Regarding efforts to rebuild damaged parts of the facility, the minister said he ordered the NCoS to begin remediation work immediately.
“I asked the CG of NCoS to immediately start the reconstruction of the damaged parts of the building. We hope to make the facility more secure and more habitable for inmates.
Additionally, NCoS Comptroller General Haliru Nababa noted that so far the service has been successful in preventing internal escapes at all of its facilities.
“The NCoS has so far prevented internal escapes in the country. What we have recurring lately are external attacks against our facilities.
“We have retrained our agents not only to secure those in lawful detention, but also to prevent external attacks.
“We are working with other security agencies in the country to make such attacks almost impossible and when they do occur attackers will not live to regret it,” he said.
On instructions from the minister to immediately begin remediation work on the facility, Nababa said work had already started in earnest.
“As you can see, workers are already on site to repair damaged doors, broken windows and assembly walls. Before the end of the day, the work would have been completed, ”added Mr. Nababa.
Large numbers of heavily armed gunmen attacked the Abolongo detention center around 10 p.m. Saturday, where several inmates escaped.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3Do8
- ITFC signs a 40 million euro agreement with SONACOS to finance the 2021/22 peanut season in Senegal
- We are not enemies of state, but partners in progress: Civil Society Organisations
- Beni: MONUSCO builds new camp for FARDC in Kididiwe
- USAID provides additional humanitarian assistance to the people of the Central African Republic
- Operational update on Ethiopia: responding to growing humanitarian needs amid increasingly difficult security conditions
- Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and US Department of State Return Stolen Artifacts to Mali
- Cellulant to Power Payments for ImaliPay’s Drive for Gig Workers’ Financial Inclusion
- Liquid Intelligent Technologies Celebrates B-BBEE Level 1 Achievement
- Nigeria launches improved ePassport in the UK
- Health center burned amid wave of violence in Foube
- The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs meets with the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of The Gambia
- Nigeria halts oil operation in Bayelsa
- WFP Briefing Note at the Palais de Geneva: Humanitarian Operations in Northern Ethiopia
- Real Estate experts task FG on policies to curb capital flight
- Tambuwal: Nigeria must embrace restructuring to survive