Some residents of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Sunday decried the abandonment of 10 Fire trucks at the National stadium, describing it as a waste of government resources and tax payers money.
In separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja, the residents said that the Federal Government kept approving money for fire trucks while more than 10 fire trucks were rotting away at the stadium.
Mr Enitan Oyekanmi said that over 10 fire service trucks had been abandoned at the national stadium for over 16 years, since the COJA organised All African games took place in 2003.
He said that government should repair those abandoned trucks rather than approving money for more trucks for the fire service which lacked equipment.
“Those fire trucks were bought during COJA Games around 2003, and as at that time I was working with City Express Bank.
“Those trucks have been parked there since that time and were not used for the games, after the games they were not even distributed or moved away, the trucks have been abandoned there for the past 16 years, I think it’s a sheer waste of tax payers’ money.
“As individuals we will never buy cars and park them for 16 years and not use them, ironically right now you will find out that government is currently buying fire trucks for fire stations.
“Another key thing is, Nigeria has fire problems in so many markets, I know of Nasarawa and Kano, so are these not equipment we can use to solve the problem,” he said.
Oyekanmi said government should distribute the trucks to various fire stations to help fight fire outbreaks all over the country.
“It is equally important that If there is an emergency fire situation in the stadium, it is important that we have fire trucks but I am sure the fire service unit in the stadium will have its own trucks.
“Even if it’s within the fire stations in Abuja, it can solve some problems. I think we have to be rational as Nigerians; we cannot abandon things and waste tax payers money.
“If we go out and find out the cost of these trucks,the money can be used to build hospitals, schools and can do so many things, I think the government should look at it and resolve it.”
Also, Mr Clement Ayan, the Stadium Unit Supervisor, said that he was employed in 2010 and he met the abandoned trucks at the stadium.
“I met those trucks here when I was employed in 2010, they have been abandoned before I came and I don’t know if they are functioning, the fire service in the stadium is very well effective.
“The stadium fire service is active so I don’t see why they haven’t evacuated these trucks here for years now, which is a waste of resources.”
Mr Mark Yusuf, a security guard at the stadium, said that the trucks were brought to the stadium by FCT fire service.
“These trucks here are from FCT fire service, they just brought them here for safety, it doesn’t belong to the ministry, they just requested for the packing space and it has been here since COJA games.
“I have been working here since 2014 and there hasn’t been any use of the trucks, but last year the Fire Service Commandant made moves to have the trucks moved from here.
“When the Minister of Sports (Solomon Dalung) was appointed, the first thing that came to his attention was those abandoned trucks and requested that the trucks should be evacuated.
“The Fire Service Commandant came here last year December with the hope that he was going to do something to the trucks but nothing was done, they are still here.”
Edited by Taiye Elebiyo-Edenihttps://nnn.ng/abandoned-fire-trucks-waste-of-government-resources-abuja-residents/
Abandoned FG properties across the nation valued at N230bn – HOR
The House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee on investigation of Federal Government abandoned properties across the nation says the value of such properties has been put at N230 billion.
The Chairman of the committee, Ademorin Kuye, said this on Tuesday at the committee’s inauguration in Abuja.
“The figure is a conservative estimation carried out by the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) on the abandoned properties located in Lagos, Ibadan, Enugu, Port Harcourt, Kano, Kaduna and other cities,” he said.
He recalled that on March 12, the House of Representatives in unison considered a motion on the subject and consequently constituted a 17-member Ad-Hoc committee.
“The committee is to investigate the use and current status of such properties and to report its findings to the house.
“At the said session, the house expressed concern that many of such properties located in almost all the states of the federation were abandoned, especially after the Federal Government’s hurried relocation to Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.
“Many of these properties are now serving as safe havens for criminals. Some are illegally occupied, fraudulently transferred and wholesomely abandoned.
“It is on record that some of the properties are currently being used by individuals and corporate bodies without remitting any revenue, while their managers, in name, have not accounted for the revenue yield.
“The exercise is pursuant to Sections 88 and 89 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 which empowers the House to investigate and expose corruption and waste,” he said.
Kuye promised that the House of Representatives would take necessary legislative steps to address national economic challenges, poverty, infrastructure decline, misuse of resources, revenue leakage, corruption and other ills.
He said that the committee would leverage on the opportunity to serve as a watershed to cushion the harsh economic realities by sourcing the most needed funds.
“We intend to consciously ascertain the existence and use of such Federal Government properties across the country with a view to facilitating re-investment end maximisation of their use.
“In executing the exercise, the committee will take into consideration the relevant provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended,” he said.
While inaugurating the committee, Femi Gbajabiamila, the Speaker, said that the projects were visual manifestations of the failure to make plans and effectively and efficiently execute them.
This, he said, had hampered the nation’s growth and development for many years.
“The ad-hoc committee we have come to inaugurate today now has the duty to account for these investments and come up with a plan that puts these assets to good use in the interest of all our citizens,” he said.
Edited By: Moses Solanke and Ephraims Sheyin (NAN)https://nnn.ng/abandoned-fg-properties/
Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
The Association of Waste Managers of Nigeria (AWAMN) has pledged its commitment toward replacing its rickety waste disposal trucks with stronger one in order to upgrade the standard of waste management in Lagos State and the country at large.
The National President of AWAMN, Mr David Oriyomi made this known during a Gala and Award Night, organised by the association in Lagos.
The Gala and Award night has the theme: ”Unlocking the Potential in Waste Management through Circular Economy”.
Oriyomi said that the association was already discussing with some banks to assist in equipment financing, toward replacing the trucks.
“The most important thing for me is the growth of the business.
“You can tie that to a clean environment.
“The business cannot grow without the cleanliness of the environment.
“My desire is to make sure that we have a clean environment, and that the business grows, to ensure the peace and professional growth of members,” he said.
The president said that the association was geared toward innovating and moving from refuse collection, transportation, and disposal, to waste recycling.
He said that to fulfill its manifesto, the executive committee of the association would work hard to ensure that waste collectors “are properly kitted, and the trucks branded”.
“The issues of rickety trucks and ill-looking workers will soon be things of the past.
“Within this short time that we have been in office – three months – we have begun discussing with some banks to assist us in equipment financing so we can replace those rickety trucks with stronger ones.
“I am happy that they are responding, and things are going on well,” Oriyomi said.
He expressed appreciation to the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu for promising to work with banks to assist operators in procuring trucks.
The Publicity Secretary of AWAMN, Mr Adebola Olugbenga stated that political will is key to a sustainable partnership for effective and efficient integrated waste management system in low- and middle-income countries.
Olugbenga said that the PSP system adopted by Lagos State and which had become a model for other states within Nigeria and in some parts of Africa, should be sustained and improved upon.
Among those given awards for their contributions to waste management are the former Governor of Lagos state, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, the state’s Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Mr Tunji Bello, and the former Managing Director of the Lagos State Waste Management Agency, Dr Ola Oresanya.
Others are the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, and the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Hon Mudashiru Obasa, among others.
Edited & Vetted By: Emmanuel Yashim
Kano Hisbah confiscates 7 trucks of alcoholic drinks
Kano,Dec.3, 2019 The Kano State Hisbah Board has confiscated seven trucks loaded with various bottles of alcoholic drinks in an organised operation at Igbo/Hausa Road in Sabon Gari town.
The Commander-General of the Board, Sheikh Harun Ibn-Sina, made this known in a statement made available to newsmen by the Public Relations Officer of the Board, Alhaji Lawan Ibrahim, in Kano on Tuesday.
Ibn-Sina assured the people of the state that it would not relent in its efforts in fighting against illegal sales and consumption of alcohol and other social vices in the state.
The commander said that the state government had made a law since 2004, which prohibits the sale and consumption of alcohol as well as other intoxicating substances.
He added that anybody found breaking the law would be punished accordingly.
Ibn-Sina said that six persons were arrested by the Hisbah Corps during the operation in connection with illegal sales and operating beer shops in Sabon Gari town.
He urged the people of the state to fully cooperate with Hisbah Board to promote what is right and curtail wrongdoing.
Edited & Vetted By: Adeleye Ajayi
‘Onion thieves’ target trucks, shops in India amid soaring prices
A truck carrying onion worth 30,000 dollars was emptied out by thieves in India even as similar crimes have been reported amid soaring prices for the vegetable that is a staple in the Indian diet.
Prices of onions have spiked to 100 rupees (1.40 dollars) per kilogramme from 20 rupees since last month, due to crop failures, leading the government to ban onion exports and order imports.
The truck, transporting 40 tons of onions embarked on a trip from the state of Maharashtra and was to reach its customer in Uttar Pradesh by Nov. 22, but was found empty hundreds of kilometres away in the Madhya Pradesh state.
“We arrested three of the transporter’s staff behind the theft since Thursday.
“They confessed they sold most of the onions and hid the rest of it.
“You know the onion is so expensive, so our priority is to make recoveries,” local police officer Gajendra Kanwar said.
The charges against the accused include criminal breach of trust with a maximum punishment of a three-year jail-term if found guilty.
Amid a shortage of onions, more such thefts have been reported this week.
On Wednesday, 50 sacks weighing 5kg were stolen from a shop in Gujarat state, while a similar incident was reported from West Bengal as well.
The spiralling prices have left many an Indian teary-eyed and angry.
The onion is ubiquitous in Indian cooking and is widely seen as a poor man’s vegetable.
Onion prices have long been a sensitive political issue in India, with rising prices leading to the fall of state governments and widespread protests in the past.
Edited & Vetted By: Emmanuel Yashim