Foreign

4 drown in dangerous currents on Dutch coast 

Published

on



4 drown in dangerous currents on Dutch coast

Amsterdam, Aug. 10, 2020 Four men on Monday drowned on the Dutch North Sea coast, due to strong winds and currents, rescue authorities said.

According to the rescue brigade, tropical temperatures contributed to dangerous currents and strong winds, resulting in a very treacherous sea.

Authorities had previously imposed a ban on swimming along the Northern coast for a stretch up to South of The Hague.

Two men aged 24 and 28 died by the beach at The Hague. Two other men, one in his late fifties and one in his early twenties, drowned in Wijk aan Zee and Zandvoort, respectively.

The men were rescued from the water but resuscitation attempts failed.

Meanwhile, rescue authorities said that 270 people were rescued on Sunday in total, out of which 59 received first aid.

According to rescue authorities, many ignored the swimming ban and entered the water with inflatable mattresses. The beach crowds further complicated the rescue efforts.

Edited By: Yahaya Isah/Silas Nwoha (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/4-drown-in-dangerous-currents-on-dutch-coast/

Foreign

Dutch deliver 4,000 salted herrings to German hospital as thank you

Published

on


The Dutch government delivered 4,000 young salted herrings to staff at a German hospital on Monday as a thank you for taking in Dutch COVID-19 patients over recent weeks.
A Dutch delegation made the presentation – while observing social distancing and hygiene rules – to the Muenster University Hospital.
From the start of April, Germany took in 58 Dutch patients, treating them in various intensive care units. Of these, 49 were treated in the state of North Rhine Westphalia, where the hospital is located.
Nine of the patients did not survive, while the remainder have returned home.
“We are not only neighbours, but also friends,” North Rhine Westphalia Health Minister Karl-Josef Laumann said on welcoming the delegation. “And among friends, you help each other when in need.”
Matjes are young herrings which have matured in brine for five days and are commonly enjoyed as a sandwich or in other dishes along the North Sea coast.
The first barrel of Dutch matjes heralds the new season at the beginning of June and is usually ceremoniously auctioned off for charity.
But this year, all traditional matjes festivals and markets had to be cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
IAA


Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/dutch-deliver-4000-salted-herrings-to-german-hospital-as-thank-you/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Anglo-Dutch company Unilever to become British holding

Published

on

By


British-Dutch multinational consumer goods company Unilever on Thursday announced plans to unify its legal structure under a single parent company headquartered in London.


According to a statement by Unilever, the goal of the structure change is to create a simpler, more flexible company, better positioned for future success.

“After a comprehensive review over the last 18 months, the board continues to believe that moving from the current dual-headed legal structure to a single parent company will bring significant benefits,” Unilever stated.

In March 2018, Unilever, producer of consumer goods brands, including Lipton tea, Dove soap, Axe deodorant and Magnum and Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, announced that it intended to change from two legal entities into one single legal entity. However, at that time the plan was to become incorporated and tax-resident in the Netherlands, with Rotterdam as single headquarters.

This plan of 2018 meant Unilever would leave London as headquarters. Pressured by a group of British shareholders who turned against the plan, Unilever abandoned that move half a year later.

Unilever has been owned through two separately listed companies, a Dutch NV and a British PLC, since its formation in 1930. The unification will now be implemented through a cross-border merger between Unilever PLC and Unilever NV into one Unilever PLC.

Unilever will maintain its listings on the Amsterdam, London and New York stock exchanges. According to the company nothing will change in its presence in the Netherlands and no jobs will be lost.

The headquarters of Unilever’s foods and refreshment division will continue to be based in Rotterdam and the research and development center will stay in Wageningen, the central Netherlands.

“Unilever is very proud of its Anglo-Dutch heritage and has significantly strengthened its presence in the Netherlands in recent years,” Unilever stated. “We have engaged with the Dutch government ahead of this announcement and have confirmed that our commitment to the Netherlands will not change as a result of this proposal.”

(XINHUA)

https://nnn.ng/anglo-dutch-company-unilever-to-become-british-holding/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Dutch court resumes Malaysian Arlines flight MH17 trial

Published

on



Dutch court resumes Malaysian Arlines flight MH17 trial

Trial

Amsterdam, by July 8, 2020  A Dutch court on Monday resumed criminal proceedings into the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 after a break of almost three months to allow defendants time to prepare.

The proceedings reopened with  defence raising renewed complaints about lack of time.

The  case materials now consist of more than 40,000 pages,  defence lawyer, Sabine ten Doesschate, told   judges in the court in Amsterdam.

“The headstart of the public prosecutor, who has been investigating for almost six years, cannot be made up in three months,’’ she said.

Travel restrictions in place during the pandemic had also hindered the defence in preparing their case, she also said, adding that  she had only been able to have superficial contact with her client.

All 298 people on board flight MH17 en route Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur were killed in the downing over war-torn eastern Ukraine.

Most of the victims were Dutch.

A Dutch-led investigative team has linked it to a Buck anti-aircraft missile system believed to have been transported to the conflict area from neighbouring Russia.

Four suspects, three Russian nationals – Igor Girkin, Sergei Dubinsky and Oleg Pulatov – and Ukrainian national, Leonid Kharchenko, are being tried in absentia.

Only Russian defendant,Oleg Pulatov, a high-ranking leader among pro-Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine at the time, is being represented in court. He pleaded innocent via his lawyers.

The trial started on March 9 and was adjourned on March 23.

The Russian Government has repeatedly denied allegations of involvement in the incident.


Edited By: Halima Sheji (NAN)Ijeoma Popoola

 

 

 

https://nnn.ng/dutch-court-resumes-malaysian-arlines-flight-mh17-trial/

Continue Reading

Foreign

Third Dutch abattoir closed following coronavirus outbreak

Published

on


1>Third Dutch abattoir closed following coronavirus outbreak 1>Abattoir


Amsterdam, May 29, 2020 Dutch authorities said on Friday that they had shuttered a third abattoir following an outbreak of coronavirus among their employees.

Twenty-one employees of the abattoir in the south-eastern Dutch city of Helmond had so far tested positive for the coronavirus, authorities said.

A random sample of 130 of the 1,700 staff were tested after a number of new cases were confirmed earlier this week.

The infected employees, as well as their roommates, were taken to a hotel where they will have to remain in quarantine for two weeks.

Abattoir owner, Van Rooi Meat stated that the factory had taken all safety precautions, including the wearing of protective clothing, to prevent the virus spreading.

The Dutch trade union federation FNV responded to the news by demanding all of the approximately 30,000 employees in the meat industry be tested for the virus.

Many employees are migrant workers from Eastern Europe, who are often housed in collective accommodation across the border in Germany.

Two Vion Group slaughterhouses have already been closed after dozens of employees were infected with the coronavirus.

A further Vion slaughterhouse in the northern German municipality of Bad Bramstedt was also closed due to an outbreak.

Edited By: Halima Sheji/Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

 

https://nnn.ng/third-dutch-abattoir-closed-following-coronavirus-outbreak/
Continue Reading

INEC commends stakeholders on successful Edo election, focuses on Ondo Survival Fund: FG releases registration schedule as portal opens Monday Osimhen, young lad with head of 40-year-old — Gattuso Edo 2020: NCFront commends security on neutrality, wants more from INEC on logistics Sexual Abuse: Cleric advises parents to pay attention to male children Baby survives, mother dies in Anambra building collapse — Police Edo Poll: APC supporters commend Buhari for providing level playing field 22 parties allege exclusion in Bauchi polls, commission denies Iru land is committed to environmental, national development- Oba Lawal Youths should be drivers of innovation, creativity for a better Nigeria- Ex-VC Bell University  CSR: Dangote Cement commits N4bn to projects in Ogun host communities  Dep. speaker House of Reps mourns Zazzau Monarch Dabiri-Erewa hails Nigerian Ezeajughi’s re-election as UK Mayor, Ajagba’s United States boxing victory Edo 2020: Gov. Emmanuel congratulates Obaseki, urges him to deliver more Renown Ibadan-born businessman, Adegoke joins APC officially in Oyo Schools resumption: Lalong urges parents to teach children COVID-19 safety protocols Obaseki’s reelection is triumph of democracy – Gov. Diri Edo Guber: IPAC commends Buhari, INEC, security agencies over peaceful poll Mane double eases Liverpool to 2-0 win over 10-man Chelsea Buhari sends FG’s delegation for Emir of Zazzau’s burial in Zaria APC rejects result of Edo governorship election Edo poll: Secondus, Peter Obi congratulate Obaseki Petition: Unions pass vote of confidence on VC Senate President mourns Emir of Zazzau Cleric urges Govt. to prosecute fake, fraudulent pastors PDP Govs. congratulate Obaseki, commends Buhari Election: PDP commends INEC, Buhari, Edo people Gov. Masari mourns Emir of Zazzau PDP attributes Obaseki’s reelection to steadfastness, dedication of Edo people Passing of Emir of Zazzau, end of an era, says Tinubu Edo election calls for celebration, says Tony Momoh Northern Governors mourn Emir of Zazzau Sanwo-Olu celebrates Sen. Tinubu at 60 Late Emir of Zazzau laid to rest in his palace Gov. Ayade congratulates Obaseki on re-election   Edo: Group lauds INEC on conduct of election Gov. Umahi congratulates Obaseki; lauds electoral process More troops, police deployed to Kaduna Airport Road, other strategic locations Emir of Zazzau: We’ve lost a father – Tijjani Ramalan Thunder strikes in Ekiti, kills 15 cows Kwara Governor commiserates with El-Rufai over death of Zazzau monarch NGO trains 150 Imams on addressing gender-based violence, harmful practices in Sokoto  Adewopo congratulates Obaseki on re-election, seeks stability, prosperity for Edo Leipzig make winning Bundesliga start without Werner Edo poll: New dawn, end of ‘godfatherism’ in Nigeria politics – Atiku COVID-19: Africa needs urgent trade finance boost, says report Obaseki’s re-election puts ‘god fatherism’ to rest in Edo politics – Gov. Fintiri Buhari mourns Emir of Zazzau, Shehu Idris Edo governorship election a huge relief, says Ekweremadu Obaseki’s win renews our 2023 determination to win Lagos — PDP