Twenty-two schools and more than 100 classes in France have been closed due to the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Minister of Education, Jean-Michel Blanquer, announced this development on Friday, three days after the opening of schools across the country.
“In mainland France, there are now 12 (schools) closed out of a total of over 60,000, which is a small figure.
“In La Reunion (an overseas department), there are 10 schools,” Blanquer told local broadcaster Europe 1.
“In general, (the detection of) three cases of COVID-19 infection would trigger the closure of a school,” he added, noting that all the relevant cases had been infected before the return to school.
It would be recalled that some 12.4 million students in France returned to classrooms on Tuesday.
The minister added “Under the government’s back-to-school plan, students aged over 11 must wear face masks all the time, including in classrooms.
He said that schools had been compelled to limit the flow of pupils and parents during the rush for arrival and departure.
According to him, classrooms should also be regularly disinfected and ventilated.
The start of the new academic year came amid worsening sanitary indicators, Blanquer said.
He said that on Thursday, the second day in a row; more than 7,000 patients had caught the virus, and the cumulative number of cases reached 300,181, quoting figures from the country’s public health agency.
He said that the number of hospitalised patients rose by 11 to 4,643, of whom 464 needed intensive care, up by 18.
He said, “The two indicators, which are key for evaluating the ability for hospitals to cope with the epidemic, have been increasing since the end of August.”
Edited By: Fatima Sule/Peter Dada (NAN)https://nnn.ng/22-schools-in-france-closed-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/
Sokoto: Centre supports NABTEB candidates with N300,000
The DPRC representative, Alhaji Sani Umar-Jabbi made the presentation on Wednesday in Sokoto.
Umar-Jabbi, who is the District Head of Gagi noted that the grant was part of support given to selected technical and vocational schools nationwide to mitigate the effects of Coronavirus pandemic.
He described the gesture as part of the organisation’s contribution to the development of education in Nigeria, in view of the challenges posed by COVID-19 to the sector.
He further described DRPC as a social sector development focused group, with particular interest in the development of the education sector.
He added that the project was funded by Open Society Foundations.
According to him, DRPC partnered with organizations in the implementation of the intervention in the country.
He said: “The grant is targeted at helping the benefitting schools to organise extra lessons, procure past question papers and textbooks to aid the students in their preparations ahead of the examination.
“Also, the funds will be targeted at getting resources for the practical sessions of the examination.
“Furthermore, the funds will be channelled toward ensuring that Personal Protective Equipment, such as face masks and sanitizers, are purchased for distribution to the students during the examination.
Umar-Jabbi also said that the grant would be disbursed in three installments to the schools during the period of the examination.
Responding, the Commissioner for Science and Technology, Dr Kulu Haruna, thanked DRPC for the grant, saying that, “it came at a time it is mostly needed’’.
“I really want to appreciate the effort of DRPC in the improvement of the quality of education and welfare of students during the upcoming examination.
“I will personally assure you that the grant would be judiciously utilised,’’ Haruna said.
The presentation of the grant was witnessed by officials of the school, Ministry of Education, the school’s Parents Teachers’ Association (PTA), among others.
Edited By: Josephine Obute/ Maharazu Ahmed
COVID-19: NAHCO introduces disinfection services to airlines
NAHCO in a statement on Wednesday, in Lagos by Samuel Akinrinmade. Head, Corporate Communications, said that the disinfection service is a technical process that involves the use of fully kitted Cabin Appearance personnel.
The process also includes the use of sophisticated machines, specially formulated and non injurious chemicals to fumigate and clean an aircraft.
Akinrinmade said the company has extended the service to all its client- airlines in partnership with Multi-Level Innovation Services Ltd/Raven Hygiene.
“NAHCO currently provides disinfection service to Virgin Atlantic, Egypt Air, Qatar Airways and Rwanda Air, while Fly Dubai and Salam Air are handled on an ad-hoc basis.
“NAHCO is poised to providing safe and convenient aircraft disinfection to all its numerous clients, as well as those who may wish to join the service in line with the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority’s gu
“In view of the rampaging COVID-19 virus, and the need to ensure that the aircraft are safe for use, we have partnered with Multi-Level Innovation Services Ltd, represented by Raven Hygiene to offer this ingenious service to our clients.
“This is aside our regular aircraft cleaning. This is a highly technical process that has been put in place to aid the industry in the fight against COVID-19 and we have a specially trained team in this regard,’’ Akinrinmade said.
He further said that, the responses from their existing clients have been highly encouraging and called on other airlines to join hands with NAHCO to ensure the skies are made safer.
Commenting, the Managing Director of Raven Hygiene, Mr Adeniyi Makanjuola, attributed the collaboration to the need to reduce the COVID-19 pandemic in the country.
Edited By: Zainab Garba/Sadiya Hamza
COVID-19: Ondo Govt warns schools against unauthorised resumption
The Ondo Government on Wednesday says it had not directed or permitted the re-opening of public or private primary and tertiary institutions in the state.
This is contained in a statement by
Prof. Adesegun Fatusi, Chairman, Inter-Ministerial Committee on COVID-19 in the state, and made available to newsmen in Akure.
Fatusi said that only secondary schools had been permitted to open for Senior Secondary 3 (SS3), and Junior Secondary School 3 (JSS3) classes.
He also said that the directive was in line with its objective of strengthening public safety, protecting the lives of residents and further mitigating the spread of COVID-19.
According to him, all school authorities, both public and private, are enjoined to comply fully with the government’s directive and not to reopen schools until the state government expressly permits such.
“The state government is also very keen to see students return to classes, but in a safe, serene and secured environment.
“We won’t tolerate any illegal act of re-opening schools contrary to the government’s directive,” he said.
Fatusi, who pleaded for the understanding and cooperation of all stakeholders, encouraged parents to ensure that their children and wards continue to stay at home until the government directed otherwise.
He also implored all groups and individuals to continue to observe all safety measures against coronavirus in the interest of their health and that of their loved ones.
Edited By: Muftau Adediran and Isaac Ukpoju
Lagos rolls out programmes to mark Nigeria’s 60th Independence
The Lagos State Government on Wednesday rolled out its programmes for the country’s 60th Independence Anniversary celebration.
Speaking during a news briefing in Ikeja, the Commissioner for Home Affairs, Prince Olanrewaju Elegushi, said that the celebration would be low key, in the face of COVID-19 pandemic.
Elegushi said that the state would hold Jumat Service on Friday, Sept. 25, at the Lagos State Community Central Mosque, Alausa, Ikeja, to be followed by Interdenominational Thanksgiving Service on Sunday, Sept. 27 at Chapel of Christ The Light, Alausa, Ikeja.
He said that the grand finale, which would be the Independence Day Parade, would hold at Agege Stadium, Agege, on Oct. 1.
According to him, this year’s Diamond anniversary is a milestone, and worth celebrating.
”Sixty years of unity despite various challenges the Nigerian state has had to face and surmount; 60 years of ongoing socio-economic development; 60 formidable years of forging ahead in spite of several daunting obstacles lining our path of greatness.
”This year’s Independence Day celebration calls for celebration, although we cannot roll out drums due to the scourge of COVID-19 that is still with us.
”However, this Diamond Jubilee calls for sober reflection and thanksgiving to the almighty for keeping the Nigerian state together thus far,” he said.
The commissioner said that the world’s focus was centered on Nigeria and its ability to evolve.
He said that the resilient, never-say-die spirit of the average Nigerian to succeed anywhere in the world and the amount of change and offering that the country brought to the world table could not be underestimated.
According to him, it is therefore permissible to say that Nigerians can handle whatever is thrown at them.
He commended the foresight, dedication and passion of Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu who deployed all resources to mitigate the spread of the global coronavirus pandemic.
”In Lagos, the Centre of Excellence, the administration of Mr Babajide Olusola Sanwo-olu is poised to deliver the dividends of democracy at every level of governance.
”Presently, there are ongoing massive infrastructural developments in the State in tandem with the T.H.E.M.E.S agenda of this administration, which is aimed at aiding commercial activities and geared towards making Lagos a 21st century economy.
”Our young people and entrepreneurs alike will be assisted to lead our nation to fuller progress and to the closer realisation of becoming economically independent to the point of creating wealth and employment to their fellows both home and abroad.
”Our State of Excellence will continue to be the face of Nigeria in infrastructural development, industrialisation, trade investments and information technology.
”Today, we can proudly say that no investor can come into the country without the urge and desire to carry out their businesses in Lagos. We are the commercial heartbeat of the nation!”, the commissioner said.
The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, said that Lagos State, being the commercial centre of the nation, was set to lead other states in this year’s celebration.
Omotoso said that it was not out of place to say that Lagos remained the economic nerve centre of Nigeria, as it had led in the way of everything in the country.
”It is not out of place to say it all began in Lagos. Lagos may not be the capital of Nigeria now, but it has remained the economic nerve centre of the country,” he said.
Edited By: Oluwole Sogunle