- The UN mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is working with other stakeholders in support of diplomatic and political means to address deadly violence in the east of the country, a UN spokesman said on Tuesday.
Farhan Haq, deputy spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said the mission, known as MONUSCO, "continues to work closely with all relevant stakeholders in support of diplomatic and political means to address the situation in the eastern region of the country. "
Haq was referring to an expected peace talks in Nairobi between the DRC government and Congolese armed groups attacking villagers in North Kivu and Ituri provinces.
The East African Community recently sent armed forces from Kenya to protect civilians in eastern DRC.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Tuesday in its Situation Report on the Democratic Republic of the Congo that the resumption of fighting between government troops and clashes between the M23 militia in the territories of Rutshuru and Nyiragongo, in North Kivu province, displaced more than 300,000 people between 1 October. November 20 and 21.
The office said the conflict and the people it displaces exacerbate food insecurity across the country, with an estimated 26 million people expected to face acute food insecurity through December. ■
- A total of 37 people were killed on Tuesday after two buses collided head-on in Nigeria's northeastern Borno state, traffic police said.
Utten Boyi, sector commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps in Borno, told reporters that the buses caught fire after the collision on the Maiduguri-Damaturu highway.
Boyi attributed the accident to speeding and said the two buses were moving in opposite directions, but one of them lost control, skidded out of its way and collided with the other.
The official said that a mass burial for the victims will take place on Wednesday, as the police already obtained a court order in this regard.
Fatal road accidents are frequently reported in Nigeria, often caused by overloading, poor road conditions, and reckless driving. ■
- HP Inc. and its subsidiaries on Tuesday announced net income for fiscal 2022 of $63 billion, down 0.8 percent (up 0.7 percent in constant currency) over the year period previous.
The company's fourth-quarter net income was $14.8 billion, down 11.2 percent (down 8.0 percent in constant currency) from the same period a year earlier.
Its diluted net earnings per share (EPS) under generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) for fiscal 2022 was $3.05, down from $5.33 in the prior-year period and below the Outlook previously provided $3.46 to $3.56, the company said.
Non-GAAP diluted net EPS for fiscal 2022 was $4.08, compared to $3.79 in the prior year period and within the outlook provided above of $4.02 to $4.12.
HP's fiscal 2022 net cash was $4.5 billion, with free cash flow of $3.9 billion.
In fiscal 2022, the company returned $5.3 billion to shareholders in the form of share buybacks and dividends.
HP Inc. also announces its Future Ready Transformation Plan, estimates annualized gross run rate cost savings of at least $1.4 billion by the end of fiscal 2025, and restructuring and other charges of approximately $1 billion.
"We delivered a strong end to our fiscal year despite navigating a volatile macro environment and softer demand in the second half. In the fourth quarter we met our non-GAAP EPS target while completing our three-year value creation plan. years and we beat our key metrics," said HP President and CEO Enrique Lores.
"Looking ahead, the new Future Ready strategy we are introducing this quarter will enable us to better serve our customers and drive long-term value creation by lowering our costs and reinvesting in key growth initiatives to position our business for the future." future," he added. ■
- Severe weather ripped through Italy on Tuesday, challenging new flood protection infrastructure in Venice, cutting off access to some islands and causing multiple injuries.
In Venice, the Italian city of canals, the water level rose 170 centimeters above normal levels on Tuesday due to heavy rains, the highest this year, but still below 187 centimeters -the highest in 50 years- registered in 2019. , city authorities said.
Thanks to the "Mose" system of 78 separate mobile gates that partially came into operation in 2020, the latest surge in water did not cause widespread flooding, Venice Mayor Luigi Brugnaro said.
"Mose", which stands for "Experimental Electromechanical Module", helped the city avoid devastation, Transport Minister Matteo Salvini said, noting that torrential rains and strong gales could have been catastrophic.
Extreme weather was reported across Italy on Tuesday. Seven of the 20 regions issued severe weather warnings and two issued red alerts: the island region of Sardinia and Abruzzo, east of Rome. Dozens of people were injured when the storm wreaked havoc.
Severe weather is expected to continue to batter parts of the country through Thursday.
This is the latest in a long series of severe weather events that have affected Italy this year. The country suffered unusually long heat waves and severe droughts throughout the summer, which caused hundreds of deaths and sharply reduced agricultural production, followed by flash floods and intense thunderstorms that killed at least 10 people and caused hundreds of millions of dollars in damage. euro.
The European Severe Weather Database (ESWD) previously said that Italy recorded five times as many extreme weather events as it did a decade ago. ■
- A "long-term and holistic approach" is needed to address the root causes and thus effectively eliminate the threat posed by piracy and armed robbery at sea in the Gulf of Guinea, it said on Tuesday a United Nations official.
Cases of piracy and armed robbery in the Gulf of Guinea have continued to decline, UN Assistant Secretary-General Martha Ama Akyaa Pobee told a Security Council meeting, introducing a UN Secretary-General's report on the piracy situation in the region. .
The report found positive developments as the number of piracy and armed robbery cases in the Gulf of Guinea decreased from 123 in 2020 to 45 in 2021. The trend has continued in 2022, with a total of 16 maritime crime incidents reported. between January and June.
However, Pobee noted that it is still too early to draw any definitive conclusions regarding this drop.
Pobee attributed the steady decline, which began around April 2021, to the concerted efforts of national authorities supported by regional and international partners, noting that piracy in the Gulf of Guinea has transformed over the past decade.
Pirate groups are adapting to changing dynamics both at sea and in coastal areas. The recent decline in piracy cases can be attributed in part to criminal networks shifting to other forms of maritime and riverine crime, such as bunkering and robbery, which they are likely to view as less risky and more profitable, he said.
Pobee called for increased efforts to establish a stable and secure maritime environment in the Gulf of Guinea.
"At the same time, underlying causes such as youth unemployment and inadequate access to public services, which make coastal communities vulnerable to being drawn into illegal and criminal activities, must also be addressed," he said.
Pobee emphasized that in order to effectively eradicate the threat posed by piracy in the Gulf of Guinea, national stakeholders, regional structures, and the international community must work closely together to address the underlying social, economic, and environmental challenges that underpin the recruitment of people in maritime crime networks.
“This requires a long-term and holistic approach, in line with the Sustainable Development Goals and the 2030 Agenda to address poverty and the lack of alternative livelihoods, youth unemployment and underemployment,” he said. ■
- Despite a bumper crop, Gaza's fruit growers, facing competition from cheaper Israeli produce, see only a bleak outlook for their business this year.
Abdullah Abu Khousa, a strawberry farmer from Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip, said that since the harvest season began in November, he has been able to export just 0.2 tonnes of his crop each week to the West Bank.
"For years, even during the Israeli blockade, I was exporting at least six tons of strawberries every week, which sold for $2.3 a kilo," said the 48-year-old father of five, adding that 80 percent of its production was used for export to Europe, Israel and the West Bank.
But now the situation has completely changed, as Israeli products flooded with cheaper prices, he complained.
"As a result, farmers have to lower the prices of their fruits in the West Bank to compete with their Israeli counterparts... Now each kilogram of strawberries was selling for just US$1.2," he said.
In Gaza, there are around 3,600 hectares of land planted with strawberries, producing at least 8,000 tons of fruit each season, according to the Hamas-run agriculture ministry.
"We are stuck in a dilemma. I can barely earn enough money to pay for operating expenses and the salaries of my workers," Abu Khousa said.
The same problem has been encountered with citrus farmers, who are supposed to harvest some 44,000 tons of citrus on 18,4000-hectare land from November to February, according to statistics released by the Gaza Ministry of Agriculture.
Taiseer al-Dahdouh, a Gaza-based citrus farmer, complained that he has not made any profit from his 5.8-hectare land for the past five years in a row.
Year after year, he explains, costs have doubled due to rising prices for fertilizers, pesticides and the fuel used by transportation vehicles. However, the price of citrus does not change in Gaza due to the endless economic crisis.
"Farmers are selling their citrus for a dollar per kilo," complained the 53-year-old father of eight, who considered cutting down his trees and building a rental house if the "current intolerable situation remains the same."
Al-Dahdouh blamed the Hamas authorities for allowing the import of citrus from Israel, saying it only made things worse. ■
- Boeing announced Tuesday that the company and ThinkYoung opened the first coding school for Ukrainian teenagers.
Boeing International President Michael Arthur, Boeing Poland Managing Director Rafal Stepnowski, Boeing Engineering Technology Center Leader Iryna Bielienko of the company's Ukraine team, and ThinkYoung founder and CEO, Andrea Gerosa, organized an opening ceremony in Gdansk, Poland. They welcomed the first class of participants to the coding school.
Over the next three weeks, classes of 20-40 teens ages 13-18 will participate in two-day seminars. While most of the program's participants are Ukrainian, the program is also open to children of other nationalities, according to the announcement.
Founded in 2009, ThinkYoung is a think tank that focuses on youth. Since 2016, ThinkYoung and Boeing have introduced more than 900 teens to coding. Around the world, 15 editions of the coding school have been held so far, Boeing said. ■
- Algeria's National People's Assembly, or lower house of Parliament, overwhelmingly approved the 2023 Budget Bill during a plenary session on Tuesday.
The bill proposes a series of measures aimed at boosting investment, as part of a new budget approach focused on goals of greater efficiency and transparency, the APS news agency reported.
The bill is based on US$60 as the reference price for a barrel of oil and US$70 as the market price.
The bill foresees an economic growth rate of 4.1 percent, while inflation is set at 5.1 percent. It also forecasts exports to reach $46.3 billion, imports to $36.9 billion and foreign exchange reserves to $59.7 billion.
The bill will be submitted for debate and vote in the Council of the Nation, or upper house of Parliament, before being signed into law by the president. ■
A European gas price cap of 275 euros (US$283) per megawatt hour (MWh) has been proposed, Energy Commissioner Kadri Simson announced Tuesday in Strasbourg, France.
"We propose a higher ceiling on the TTF (Title Transfer Facility) price for next month in case it exceeds 275 euros per megawatt hour. Beyond that price, no transactions will be possible."
The market correction mechanism will be activated when two conditions are met, explained the Commissioner. In the first place, when the price of gas exceeds 275 euros for two consecutive weeks. Second, when the differential between the TTF price and the global price of liquefied natural gas (LNG) is equal to or greater than 58 euros for ten consecutive business days.
When both conditions are met, the mechanism will be activated automatically and will not require any additional procedure or decision.
Simson told a press conference that this is not a regulatory intervention to set the price in the gas market at an artificially low level; rather, it is a last resort solution to avoid episodes of excessively high prices that are not in line with world price trends.
However, he added: "This is not a silver bullet that will drive gas prices down. But it does provide a powerful tool that we can use when we need it, complementing our more structural efforts to bring down prices, that is, controlling our demand and ensuring sufficient gas supplies for Europe through joint purchases and an active foreign energy policy".
The proposals will be debated by the energy ministers of the bloc's 27 member countries on November 24.
However, the Association of European Energy Exchanges said the mechanism poses a serious threat to the region's security of supply and financial stability, and will do little to achieve the goal of lowering energy costs.
In August, prices at the TTF virtual trading point increased from €220 to almost €320 per MWh, while global LNG prices were significantly lower. Since then, gas prices have dropped considerably, to the current 116 euros. (1 euro = 1.03 US dollars) ■
- The Russian president, Vladimir Putin, and the first secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba and the Cuban president, Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez, expressed this Tuesday the common willingness to deepen relations between the two countries.
"The Soviet Union and Russia have always supported the Cuban people in their struggle for independence and sovereignty. We have always opposed any restrictions, embargoes, blockades, etc. We have always supported Cuba on international platforms," Putin said in a meeting with Díaz-Canel in the Kremlin.
"Relying on the firm foundation of friendship, we must certainly move forward and strengthen our cooperation under the current conditions," he told Diaz-Canel, who is on an official visit to Russia.
Cuba appreciates the efforts and the role of Russia in guiding the world towards multipolarity and wants to continue promoting relations with Russia, Diaz-Canel said.
Before their talks, Putin and Díaz-Canel participated in a ceremony to unveil the monument to the late Cuban leader Fidel Castro in Moscow. ■