Connect with us
  •  Ukraine raises outlook for upcoming harvest amid war with Russia
    Ukraine raises outlook for upcoming harvest amid war with Russia
     Ukraine raises outlook for upcoming harvest amid war with Russia
    Ukraine raises outlook for upcoming harvest amid war with Russia
    Foreign2 weeks ago

    Ukraine raises outlook for upcoming harvest amid war with Russia

    Ukraine raises outlook for upcoming harvest amid war with Russia Ukraine raises outlook for upcoming harvest amid war with Russia HarvestKiev,  Aug. 4, 2022  Ukraine has raised its outlook for this year’s harvest, forecasting it will bring in 10 per cent more crops in spite of Russia’s continuing invasion.

    Kiev expects to harvest 65 to 67 million tons of grain and oilseeds, up from an initial estimate of 60 million tons, Ukrainian Agriculture Minister Mykola Solsky said in a statement on Wednesday.

    Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal said 12 million tons of crops have already been harvested.

    “In total, we exported 3.2 million of the required five million in June,” he said, as exports gradually increase by rail, road and the Danube ports.

    Meanwhile the release of millions of tons of grain stored at Black Sea ports has also been widely greeted as a sign of hope in Ukraine, known as the breadbasket of Europe.

    “The seaports are expanding these capacities considerably, and farmers are getting new opportunities to sell their products,” Shmyhal said.

    The food is urgently needed on the world market – especially in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. The UN recently warned of an unprecedented world hunger crisis.

    Under a deal agreed in July to lift Russia’s months-long blockade of the ports, Ukraine pledged to guide the ships through waters that have been mined and Russia promised to not target the ships and certain port infrastructure.

    The deal’s brokers – the UN and Turkey – said they would help safely coordinate the exports and monitor the shipments to make sure the vessels were not smuggling weapons into the war zone.

    The first ship loaded with 26,000 tons of corn passed through the Bosporus strait on Wednesday on its way to Lebanon.

    YEE(
    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •  U S Senate votes to approve Sweden Finland joining NATO
    U.S. Senate votes to approve Sweden, Finland joining NATO 
     U S Senate votes to approve Sweden Finland joining NATO
    U.S. Senate votes to approve Sweden, Finland joining NATO 
    Foreign2 weeks ago

    U.S. Senate votes to approve Sweden, Finland joining NATO 

    U.

    S. Senate votes to approve Sweden, Finland joining NATO  U.

    S. Senate votes to approve Sweden,  Finland joining NATO  NATO,  Aug. 4, 2022 The U.

    S. Senate voted overwhelmingly to approve the accession of Sweden and Finland to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) on Wednesday, with the resolution gaining the support of 95 senators.

    The single dissenting vote came from Republican Senator Josh Hawley of Missouri, who argued that there should be less focus on security in Europe and much more on the threat from China.

    U.

    S. President Joe Biden has strongly backed the accession of Finland and Sweden to NATO, and referred the matter to the senate for consideration in July. The vote in Washington followed a vote in France’s National Assembly earlier on Wednesday, in which 209 deputies voted in favour of Swedish and Finnish membership, while 46 voted against.

    The senate, the second chamber of the French parliament, voted to approve the accession a fortnight ago.

    Sweden and Finland applied to join the Western defence alliance in the wake of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

    Until now, the two countries have been close partners, but not members, of NATO.

    Before the accession protocols can enter into force, they must be ratified by all 30 NATO member states, two-thirds of which have already given their approval for the new members.

    YEE(
    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •  LAUTECH SUG mourns killing of kidnapped colleague
    LAUTECH SUG mourns killing of kidnapped colleague
     LAUTECH SUG mourns killing of kidnapped colleague
    LAUTECH SUG mourns killing of kidnapped colleague
    General news2 weeks ago

    LAUTECH SUG mourns killing of kidnapped colleague

    The Students Union Government (SUG) of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) Ogbomoso on Wednesday mourned the killing of kidnapped Racheal Opadele, a final year student of the Department of Fine and Applied Arts of the institution.

    Mr Anuoluwa Adeboye, the SUG President of LAUTECH, who made this known in a statement in Ogbomoso, said that the development had brought a dark moment to the institution.  

    Adeboye said that Rachael was kidnapped where she was working at hotel in a community close to LAUTECH.  

    He recounted that the Students Union Government immediately wrote Governments, security operatives, and all concerned stakeholders to see to her rescue without her dying but all efforts prooved abortive.

    “It is with heavy hearts that we announce the gruesome killing of our dear student, Rachael, a final year student of LAUTECH, that was kidnapped where she was working in Ogbomoso due to ASUU strike on behalf of the entire students of LAUTECH.

    “This is a dark moment in our school as we were lashed with the death of one of us.

    “We were consumed when we first heard about her kidnap and we led the team to write to Governments, security operatives, and all concerned stakeholders to see to her release without her dying.

    “It’s so disheartening and terrible to have heard her dead in the early hours of today, “he said.

    He call on the government to administer justice on Opadele’s killers.

    “The government should act fast and let justice be served.

    As a matter of urgency, we are challenging the government to present to the public the killer(s) of our dear colleague.  

    The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Rachael Opadele was abducted in the early hours of Friday in an hotel at Aaba, a community close to LAUTECH.  

    She was said to be working at the hotel following the ongoing protacted ASUU strike that has kept all Nigerian students outside the institutions.

    The LAUTECH SUG, in its July 30 statement, said that students could no longer walk or move freely, sleep conveniently, travel, or do anything without fear of being abducted or kidnapped, robbed, raped, or maimed within or outside the University Community.


    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •  New sculpture at UN honours rights experts killed in DR Congo
    New sculpture at UN honours rights experts killed in DR Congo
     New sculpture at UN honours rights experts killed in DR Congo
    New sculpture at UN honours rights experts killed in DR Congo
    Foreign2 weeks ago

    New sculpture at UN honours rights experts killed in DR Congo

    The UN at its headquarters on Wednesday unveiled a new sculpture in honour and memory of two human rights experts murdered in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) five years ago.

    Speaking at the unveiling of the sculpture in New York, UN Secretary-General António Guterres again expressed deep condolences to the families of Ms Zaida Catalán and Mr Michael Sharp.

    Members of the families of the two human rights experts attended the dedication of the sculpture captioned ‘Abused Ammunition’, a glass carving which appears in the form of a golden bullet.

    Catalán, who was from Sweden, and Sharp, an American, were members of the UN Group of Experts on the DRC, which supports the work of a Security Council Committee overseeing sanctions imposed on armed groups in the country.

    “Zaida and Michael devoted their lives to advancing human rights and humanitarian action; and to supporting vulnerable people,” Guterres said.

    They were abducted on March 12, 2017 while investigating reports of mass atrocities in the volatile Kasai region, following fighting between Congolese Government forces and armed militia.

    UN peacekeepers found their bodies two weeks later outside the city of Kananga.

    The fate of their interpreter and three motorbike drivers remains unknown.

    In January, a Congolese military court sentenced 51 people to death for their killing of the two experts.

    “Their murder was a heinous crime.

    “It was an assault on the values of the United Nations – an attack on the mission that countless women and men around the world risk their lives every day to uphold,” the UN chief said.

    Abused Ammunition honours that mission, said the secretary-general, by imagining the sorrow of inanimate objects – in this case, bullets – over the part they play in death and destruction.

    “The United Nations continues to assist the Congolese authorities in their investigation and prosecution of those responsible for killing Zaida and Michael, and the disappearance of the four Congolese citizens who were with them,” he said.

    Guterres thanked the Swedish and U.

    S. governments who gifted the sculpture to the UN.

    He also thanked Thommy Bremberg, the Swedish artist who produced the sculpture “for his message of empathy, and for honoring the achievements and sacrifices of United Nations personnel.

    ” (www.

    nanews.

    ng)(
    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •  Arsenal striker Balogun completes loan move to Reims
    Arsenal striker Balogun completes loan move to Reims
     Arsenal striker Balogun completes loan move to Reims
    Arsenal striker Balogun completes loan move to Reims
    General news2 weeks ago

    Arsenal striker Balogun completes loan move to Reims

    > Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun has joined Ligue 1 side Stade Reims on loan for the 20222023 season.

    The 21-year-old made his first-team debut for the Gunners during the 20202021 season, and also penned a long-term contract.

    Balogun featured in the English Premier League (EPL) just twice last season, before spending the second half of the campaign on loan at Middlesbrough.

    It was his first loan spell away from Arsenal.

    While at Teesside, Balogun contributed three goals and three assists in 18 Championship appearances (nine starts) as Chris Wilder’s team fell short of reaching the play-offs.

    Reims finished 12th in Ligue 1 last season, 12 points above the relegation zone, and begin their new campaign on Sunday against Marseille.

    Balogun becomes the French side’s sixth signing of the transfer window, following the additions of Junya Ito, Andreaw Gravillon, Emmanuel Agbadou, Patrick Pentz and Maxime OLAL(
    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •  Aiteo Cup Bendel Insurance FC beat Ottasolo FC via penalty kicks shootout
    Aiteo Cup: Bendel Insurance FC beat Ottasolo FC via penalty kicks shootout
     Aiteo Cup Bendel Insurance FC beat Ottasolo FC via penalty kicks shootout
    Aiteo Cup: Bendel Insurance FC beat Ottasolo FC via penalty kicks shootout
    General news2 weeks ago

    Aiteo Cup: Bendel Insurance FC beat Ottasolo FC via penalty kicks shootout

    Bendel Insurance Football Club of Benin have progressed to the round of 16 of the 2022 Aiteo Federation Cup competition after defeating Ottasolo FC of Lagos 4-3 on penalty kicks.

    The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the round of 32 match which ended 1-1 after full time was played at the Kwara Stadium Complex in Ilorin on Wednesday.

    Bendel Insurance drew the first blood in the fifth minute through Imade Osarenkhoe after a fine finish.

    The Nigeria National League (NNL) side thereafter had more of the possession to keep the result 1-0 going into the break.

    Ottasolo FC responded better to their half-time team talk than their Benin counterparts as they controlled possession for more part of the second half.

    The Lagos-based NNL side were rewarded for their work when Shina Ayodele struck beautifully for them in the 53rd minute to even the scores.

    Both sides then struggled for the winning goal but they could only settle for a one-all draw before the penalty kicks shootout.

    Bendel Insurance thereafter scored four of their five kicks to take them into the next round of the competition.  

    (
    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •  2022 CWG Nigeria fail to make podium finish in men s women s 100m
    2022 CWG: Nigeria fail to make podium finish in men’s, women’s 100m
     2022 CWG Nigeria fail to make podium finish in men s women s 100m
    2022 CWG: Nigeria fail to make podium finish in men’s, women’s 100m
    General news2 weeks ago

    2022 CWG: Nigeria fail to make podium finish in men’s, women’s 100m

    It was not a great outing for Nigeria in the men’s and women’s 100m track events at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham on Wednesday.

    The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the six athletes who featured in both events for Team Nigeria failed to make a podium finish.

    The men’s 100m was won by Kenya’s Ferdinand Omanlaya while Jamaica’s Elaine Thompson-Herah got the gold medal in the women’s category.

    Nigeria was not represented in the men’s finals as the trio of Godson Oghenekevwe, Favour Ashe and Raymond Ekevwo fell short in the semi-finals and failed to reach Wednesday’s final.

    Oghenekevwe ran 10.52 seconds in the first semi-final to finish in ninth place, while Ekevwo ran 10.36 secs to place seventh in the third semi-final.

    Ashe, who had a better time among the trio, fell short by a spot, finishing third place in semi-final two.

    Still, Ashe’s time could not get him a qualification among the best losers.

    The women’s event witnessed Rosemary Chukwuma and Grace Nwokocha reaching the final, while Joy Udo-Gabriel could not progress after ending in sixth place in the second semi-final.

    Meanwhile, Chukwuma ran 11.17 secs, followed closely by Nwokocha in 11.18 secs to finish fourth and fifth respectively in the race.

    In the men’s high jump event, Mike Edwards finished in sixth place, jumping a height of 2.19 metres which could not secure him a medal.

    Athletics events, amongst other sports, continue on Thursday with Nigeria looking to add to the eight medals they have won so far at the Games.

    (
    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •  Eintracht Frankfurt s president swings cheeky swipe at Bayern Munich new boy Mane
    Eintracht Frankfurt’s president swings cheeky swipe at Bayern Munich new boy Mane
     Eintracht Frankfurt s president swings cheeky swipe at Bayern Munich new boy Mane
    Eintracht Frankfurt’s president swings cheeky swipe at Bayern Munich new boy Mane
    General news2 weeks ago

    Eintracht Frankfurt’s president swings cheeky swipe at Bayern Munich new boy Mane

    > Sadio Mane has yet to kick a ball in the Bundesliga and already the former Liverpool striker is facing jibes —– including a tongue-in-cheek volley from Bayern Munich’s opening-day opponents.

    Eintracht Frankfurt president Peter Fischer is relishing Friday’s tussle between his team, who lifted the Europa League trophy in May, and German champions Bayern Munich.

    There is a feelgood factor around Eintracht Frankfurt as the new season arrives, with a UEFA Super Cup clash against Real Madrid coming up next Wednesday.

    Confidence is surging, and even the prospect of facing Bayern Munich is not intimidating the team that trailed in 11th in last season’s Bundesliga.

    Bayern Munich have lost Robert Lewandowski since he hit 50 goals last season, and few would expect new addition Sadio Mane to come close to that tally.

    Not many would see it wise to be hurling insults his way, though, however light-hearted the intention.

    Fischer, in an interview, did just that though, as he said: “Who the f*** is Mane?

    ” Fischer added: “By the way, we always did relatively well with Robert Lewandowski.

    ” That is debatable, given that Lewandowski scored 15 goals in 18 appearances against Eintracht Frankfurt, prior to his close-season switch to FC Barcelona.

    They came at a rate of one every 91.53 minutes.

    Fischer predicted there would be “an exciting mood in the stadium” as Eintracht Frankfurt host the 10-in-a-row champions.

    “And of course we have a chance.

    If it ends in a draw, I won’t start to cry either.

    ” Eintracht Frankfurt head coach Oliver Glasner worked with Mane when the Senegalese forward moved from Metz to Salzburg in 2012. He has since admired the 30-year-old from afar, particularly during his stellar six-year Liverpool career.

    “I am happy that Sadio is in the Bundesliga now,” Glasner told a news conference.

    “It’s been 10 years since I got to know him.

    He was just a young boy that was relegated from the French second to third division.

    He only spoke French but had enormous talent.

    “He was very ambitious and had a clear idea.

    When we talked about learning German, he said he wants to learn English because he wants to go to the Premier League.

    “I am very happy for him.

    And for Bayern Munich to sign a player from Liverpool is evidence of the attractiveness of the Bundesliga which they were afraid of losing.

    ” Glasner said his team would not be “raising the white flag” of surrender against Bayern Munich.

    He said they would “do everything we can” to score the upset win, even if he sees Bayern Munich as champions-in-waiting once again.

    After Bayern Munich comes the Real Madrid game for Eintracht Frankfurt in Helsinki.

    “This morning I said it’s actually cool for us,” Glasner added.

    “We play the UEFA Champions League winners three years ago on Friday and the current UEFA Champions League winners on Wednesday.

    “Quite a cool start.

    Nevertheless, I think that over the course of the Bundesliga season, Bayern Munich will have the edge OLAL(
    NewsSourceCredit: NAN