Somalia’s new president inaugurated, seeks famine relief from int’l community
Somalia’s new president inaugurated, seeks famine relief from int’l communityInauguration
Mogadishu, June 9, 2022 Somalia’s newly elected President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud was on Thursday officially inaugurated.
In his inaugural speech, Mohamud said that Somalia would not get involved in international rivalries and would stay neutral.
He called for international support to avert famine in the country given that Somalia is currently experiencing one of the worst droughts in 40 years.
Speaking at the ceremony, the Ethiopian prime minister and Kenyan president praised the peaceful transfer of power in Somalia and pledged to work closely with the new government.
The inauguration ceremony was attended by regional leaders, including Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta, Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and Djibouti President Ismail Omar Guelleh as well as Egyptian Prime Minister Kamal Madbouly and representatives from the UAE, Turkey, Uganda and Western countries.
The Armed Forces Command and Staff College (AFCSC), Jaji, in Kaduna State, will hold its bi-annual military field training exercise from June 11 to June 15.A statement issued on Thursday in Kaduna by the college Public Relations Officer, Maj. Ajemasu Jingina, said the training, code named “Exercise Ubiak-Isin”, was for participants of Junior Course 93.According to him, the exercise will hold along Jaji-Labar-Dunki-Bina-Wazata general area in Igabi Local Government Area of the state.He explained that it was designed to assess the student officers on various aspects of leadership, tactics, command and control in all phases of conventional and asymmetric warfare.“The exercise will also evaluate students’ understanding of counter terrorism and counter insurgency operations,” Jingina added.He said that as part of the event, the AFCSC would distribute welfare materials to residents of Bina and Tudun Amada villages, to enhance the existing cordial relationship between it and its host communities.“The general public, especially people living around the exercise area, are advised to remain calm and not panic on sighting movement of troops and military equipment.“Sounds of explosives and small arms fire would also be heard intermittently during the days of the training exercise,” he spokesman said.He assured that necessary preventive measures had been put in place for the security and safety of the area, but advised the general public to keep off the vicinity during the military exercise.(NAN)
The federal Government on Thursday donated relief materials to victims of the Port Harcourt Polo Club stampede that claimed 36 lives.The News Agency of Nigeria recalled that the stampede took place on May 28 at the outreach, organised by the Kings Assembly Church.The Director General of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr Mustapha Ahmed, during a condolence visit to the Rivers State Government and victims in Port Harcourt handed the materials to the lead Pastor of the church.The items are: 1,000 bags of rice (10kg), 50 kegs of vegetable oil, 30 cartons of seasoning cubes, 20 bags of salt, 21 cartons of tin tomatoes, 1,000 pieces of nylon mat, 1,000 pieces of towels.Others are: 1,000 pieces of mosquito nets, 50 cartons of bath soap, 500 pieces of materasses, 500 pieces of blankets, 500 of brocade, 500 pieces of wax print, 100 packets of diaper, 100 packets of sanitary pads, 100 bags of detergents.The DG stated that NEMA has developed several plans and guidelines in fulfilling its mandate, which include National Disaster Response Plan.The Search and Evacuation Plan, the National Nuclear and Radiological Plan, and the Early Warning System on Epidemics among others.Ahmed said that NEMA is ready to collaborate and synergise with the stakeholders in various thematic areas within the disaster management cycle.In his response, Gov. Nyesom Wike, expressed gratitude to the Federal Government through NEMA, saying that the state is happy that the Federal Government has responded to the victims.Wike, represented by his Deputy, Dr Ipalibo Harry Banigo, stated that Rivers State Government has always taken proactive measures in the prevention and management of disasters.According to Wike, nobody prays for disaster or hopes for the fatal stampede which was unfortunate.“We are very sorry; it is a real tragedy, particularly for those who lost their lives, and families who are bereaved.“We will make sure that nothing close to that happens again, we are grateful to NEMA and we are happy that the FG has responded to us,” he stated.He stated that the Ministry of Special Duties had visited the Church and the victims in hospital, adding that those who were admitted had all been discharged.The Governor advised NGOs, churches, and well-meaning, individuals who want to conduct such outreach programmes to work with the Department of Emergency in the Ministry of Special Duties whose doors are open to help.Mr Chris Ugoh, the Lead Pastor of the King’s Assembly, Port Harcourt, expressed appreciation to the Federal Government through NEMA for assisting the church and the families of the victims of the polo club stampede.Ugoh also thanked Gov. Wike for all he had done since the unfortunate incident in the state.According to Ugoh, “we are deeply sorry for what happened because since 2014 that we started serving the city every year, seeing to the needs of orphans, the less privileged, carrying out skills acquisition and empowerment programmes, we have not experienced such an ugly incident or any problem.“We pray that such a thing will never happen again.“I’m particularly touched that the Director General can make out time to come and see us today, everything will be safe and appropriately distributed so that the people that should get this will get it,” Ugoh said.(NAN)
Gov. Chukwuma Soludo of Anambra said that no fewer than 1,000 teachers in the state were relieved of their appointments with the state government because they were employed in a hazy manner.
The governor stated that the affected persons thereby remained unqualified for the job.
Soludo, who made the clarification in a statement signed by Mr Chris Aburime, his Press Secretary, on Thursday, said that no qualified teacher was sacked by the government.
Soludo said that the termination of the appointments was in line with his administration’s effort at repositioning the education sector according to standard practice.
The statement said: “the attention of the Governor has been drawn to publications on protest by Association (PTA) teachers, purportedly converted to permanent staff in Anambra schools.
“The protesters, who barricaded the entrance of the state House of Assembly, displayed placards with various inscriptions, claiming to have been engaged by the state government before the termination of their jobs.
“For the avoidance of doubt, no qualified teacher in the state’s school system has been relieved of appointment.
“The affected PTA teachers who were “converted” to the school system in the last days of the last administration in irregular, hazy circumstances.
“They were only asked to regularise their employment with the government by taking part in the online teachers’ recruitment test.
“The idea is to ensure that only those with requisite qualifications, proven capacity and commensurate experiences are recruited into the system.
“At all times, Prof. Soludo means well for the good people of Anambra State and will stop at nothing in giving them the best, education inclusive.”
Some of the affected teachers said they were duly employed and issued appointment letters by the last administration in November 2021 but were sacked in April 2022.
They said they had served Anambra education school system for between two years and seven years as ’ Association (PTA) teachers.
They argued that if they could be engaged in that capacity, they should also be worthy of regularised employment.
The sacked teachers said it was unfair to sack them unceremoniously after working for about seven months without pay and called on the governor to kindly reinstate them.
The state government had advertised 5,000 vacancies in the Education and Health sectors, in which no fewer than 31,800 were shortlisted for Computer Based Test.
The online examination is scheduled to hold on June 11.
Enugu State Government says that the hospitality and tourism sub-sectors hold great potential to pull millions of Nigerians out of poverty.
The state’s Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Mr Ugonna Ibe, said this on Thursday in Enugu in an address at the launch of the book — “The Principles and Practice of Hospitality and Tourism Management”.
Ibe noted that hospitality and tourism remain the fastest growing sub-sectors worldwide and their potential are yet to be fully tapped in the country.
“The economic multiplier effect as well as additional jobs and wealth hospitality and tourism sub-sectors can create can be overwhelming and unquantifiable.
“Some first-world countries and even some African countries are making it big through hospitality and tourism sub-sectors.
“In Enugu State, the government is making frantic efforts to harness and develop the hospitality and tourism sub-sectors through investment and Public-Private-Partnership drives.
“The government investment and attention to security of lives and property as well as the general secured business environment are visible everywhere in the state; thus, creating an atmosphere of peace and secured state,” he said.
Earlier, the book reviewer, Dr Ferdinand Anikwe, said that the 395-page book dealt with the rudiments and basic management on how to run a successful hospitality and tourism business.
Anikwe, who is a former Director-General of Centre for Black African Arts and Civilisation (CBAAC), said that the book “remains the first and easy-read hospitality and tourism book in the country”.
“The book also x-rayed the role of security in the sub-sectors as well as solutions to security challenges in the sub-sectors when it arises.
“It is a must read for everyone – students, lecturers, administrators, practitioners and people with the prospect of venturing into the two sub-sectors,” he added.
The author, Chief Steve Odo, said that the book would lead to effective hospitality and tourism management in order to harness the abundant potentials in the two sub-sectors.
Odo, who is also the General Manager of Enugu State Tourism Board, said: “It has been my life-long ambition to open up endless opportunities for up-scaling revenue for both individuals, groups, businesses and governments through these two sub-sectors.
“Nigeria, especially Enugu State, is booming in hospitality and tourism even as there are great potentials to increase the gains from hospitality and tourism if well harnessed in both the state and country at large.”
The tourism board boss said that the book would serve as a legacy he would be leaving behind for stakeholders, students, practitioners and administrators of the two correlated sub-sectors. (