This followed the passing of a motion by Representative Tunji Olawuyi, a member representing Kwara‘s Ekiti, Isin, Irepodun and Oke-ero Federal Constituency on the House floor Tuesday in Abuja.
The Chamber mandated the Standing Committees on Appropriations, Fice and Works to include the fund for the finalization of the road in the 2022 budget.
The Chamber also mandated the Standing Committee of the Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA) to ensure compliance with the immediate maintenance of the Ajase-Ipo, Omu-Aran, Eruku-Egbe and Kabba roads for easy passage.
Olawuyi said that ownership of all A-main roads connecting various states in the Federation rests with the federal government, through the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing.
He added that most interstate roads across the country, especially the main roads that connect the north to the south region, had been neglected over the years.
According to him, this is due to the non-provision of funds by the authorities concerned.
He said that the road from Ajase-Ipo in Kwara State passing through Omu-Aran to Eruku-Egbe then Kabba in Kogi State “is a federal road”.
He expressed concern that no major construction work had been done so far by the Federal Ministry of Public Works and Housing for a long time on the road.
He said that despite preventable accidents that left many people dead on the very important road, no major repairs or reconstruction had taken place on the road.
The lawmaker said the road serves as a viable route for transporting agricultural products to urban cities, including the territory of the federal capital, Abuja.
According to him, the current deplorable state of the Ajase-Ipo – Omu-Aran – Eruku-Egbe – Kabba road offers an environment conducive to armed thieves and kidnappers.
He said that these criminal elements carried out heinous activities on the roads, subjecting thousands of road users to untold suffering, including premature death.
He said motorists traveling to Kwara from Abuja or Kabba were often forced to travel on the Ekiti State road due to the pitiful condition of the Kabba – Omu-Aran road.
He called for urgent intervention by the federal government through the Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA) to repair the road.
He said this would serve as an immediate stopgap to reduce the burden on commuters of traveling long distances to reach Kwara state.
The Chamber therefore urged the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing to take the necessary measures to bring lasting solutions to the road.
The Chamber also urged the Minister of Public Works, Babatunde Fashola, to carry out dualisation works on the Ajase-Ipo – Omu-Aran – Eruku-Egbe – Kabba road.
The Chamber indicated that the ministry could possibly use concrete cement for the project. “which is much cheaper and easier to maintain,” while urging the ministry to prioritize its immediate repair.
It also mandated the Standing Committees for Credit, Fice and Works to include the fund for the finalization of the Ajase-Ipo – Omu-Aran – Eruku-Egbe – Kabba road in the 2022 budget.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3CKN
- How seamless payment experiences make retail brands more valuable and relevant (By Gilbert Lungu)
- Binance To Host Its First Offline Event In Cameroon
- Coronavirus – Uganda: Tackle the misinformation about Covid-19 Vaccination in Acholi
- Nigerian Air Force’s Super Tucano jet destroy ISWAP armoury, training bases in Lake Chad
- Deputy Chief Maybury Supports the 16 Days Campaign and World AIDS Day on ELBC Radio
- Akeredolu won’t allow workers enjoy Christmas – Ondo PDP Alleges
- Bill to regulate administration of sports mooted
- Compact: African Development Bank and IFC Partner to Advance Economic Development in Lusophone African countries
- Lagos govt explains why Nigerian Army intervened during EndSARS protests
- N15 bn cocoa processing plant begins operation in Ondo
- Fighting against drought-induced hunger: FAO provides rural households in Somalia with cash livestock and agricultural support
- ABU, CBN develop national farmers’ database
- Nigerian Navy arrests 5 stowaways at Lagos anchorage
- Woodside Energy Confirms Participation at MSGBC Oil, Gas & Power 2021
- After media reports, Kano govt unseals chamber of lawyer who secures victory against Ganduje-led APC