Eleven Malian soldiers were killed and 14 others wounded on Monday in an ambush near Tassit, in Mali’s northern region of Gao, the Malian armed forces confirmed on its website on Wednesday.
More than a hundred men from “armed terrorist groups” on pickup trucks and motorcycles ambushed a team of Malian soldiers in Tassit, a town in the Gao region, killing 11 Malian soldiers, said l Malian army in a press release.
The army added that 14 soldiers were injured, 8 of them in critical condition, as well as 11 others missing.
According to the Malian army, all the wounded were evacuated and taken to hospital by the UN peacekeeping mission MINUSMA for medical treatment.
The military said the French counterterrorism force Barkhane also deployed two helicopters to support the Malian armed forces in its sweeping operation.
Following a military coup in 2012, insurgents roam northern Mali.
Armed attacks have recently spread to central Mali, regardless of the presence of the French army and United Nations peacekeepers in the West African country. (Xinhua / NAN)
I like loading …
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3ykt
- Adimula Commissions PTI Skill Development Academy
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (May 6, 2021)
- JUSUN, PASAN strike to end soon – FG
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 daily update (May 6, 2021)
- Jagun emerges new president of computer professionals council
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (May 6, 2021)
- Lagos to connect 100 schools to internet in May – Sanwo-Olu
- #EndSARS: Insurance companies pay N4bn claims – NIA
- NCDC confirms 28 new COVID-19 infections in Nigeria