Eleven Malian soldiers were killed and 14 others wounded on Monday in an ambush near Tassit, in Mali’s northern region of Gao, the Malian armed forces confirmed on its website on Wednesday.
More than a hundred men from “armed terrorist groups” on pickup trucks and motorcycles ambushed a team of Malian soldiers in Tassit, a town in the Gao region, killing 11 Malian soldiers, said l Malian army in a press release.
The army added that 14 soldiers were injured, 8 of them in critical condition, as well as 11 others missing.
According to the Malian army, all the wounded were evacuated and taken to hospital by the UN peacekeeping mission MINUSMA for medical treatment.
The military said the French counterterrorism force Barkhane also deployed two helicopters to support the Malian armed forces in its sweeping operation.
Following a military coup in 2012, insurgents roam northern Mali.
Armed attacks have recently spread to central Mali, regardless of the presence of the French army and United Nations peacekeepers in the West African country. (Xinhua / NAN)
I like loading …
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3ykt
- Kwara Govt welcomes 129 doctors, others
- Customs strike force intercepts 513 bags of foreign rice
- NABDA partner ABU on genetically improved maize
- Senate seeks more incentives for new entrants to cement production
- The FG reaffirms its commitment to the growth of MSMEs to stimulate GDP
- AU mourns ousted Chadian President Deby Mourning
- CBN urges banks to support businesses seeking expansion
- Lawan praises a harmonious relationship between the arms of government
- Providing public services is key to improving lives – SERVICOM